Vapor Management

  • bradr36
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2005
      Lindsey, if i remember correctly you have a VM still.
      Curious what size piping you are using for the two vapor paths and
      the ratio of reflux you think you are achieving with valve fully open.
      Also are you using any means of directing reflux back to the center
      of the column.

      BR
    • Lindsay Williams
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2005
        Hi, BR. The still 'facts sheet' below should answer your questions.
        But if not, fire away again!

        The washer hole is made the same size as the valve on the basis that
        it will split the vapour 50:50. This washer is the iffyist part but I
        think it is working OK but it does need to seal against the sides and
        it does need to direct the reflux into the packing. Maybe you, or
        someone else, can improve on my design. Maybe it should have a short
        downwards pointing tapering tube going from 35mm to 20mm to make more
        certain of the re-direction?

        Cheers,
        Lindsay.

        -------------------------------
        Column
        50mm diam
        1180mm to take-off nipple
        250mm above nipple
        restricting washer with 20mm hole in it resting on take-off nipple
        hole peined down to run liquid into packing

        Liebig
        Inner tube 590mm X 12mm OD
        Outer tube 460mm X 22mm

        Reflux Coil
        27 tns of 3/16" tubing

        Valve
        20mm gate valve

        Comments
        What appealed to me about VM is its simplicity and easy control. It
        also shuts down as tails come in. The column is just a tube with a
        20mm nipple welded into it. I got a local muffler place to do it for
        me. The reflux coil just hangs in the top which is open to the air.
        The gate valve screws onto the nipple and then goes to one arm of a
        brass tee joint. The other arm has a cap and this cap has a hole for
        the thermometer probe. The Liebig is attached to the tee vertical. All
        std 3/4" plumbing fittings.

        The restricting washer has PTFE tape around its rim to seal it against
        the column to prevent liquid running down the walls (I hope!). The
        theoretical minimum reflux ratio is 50% (both take-off arms are same
        20mm size).

        To strip a wash, or take tails, I just open the valve fully and up the
        power to the boiler.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bradr36" <bradr36@y...> wrote:

        > Lindsey, if i remember correctly you have a VM still.
        > Curious what size piping you are using for the two vapor paths and
        > the ratio of reflux you think you are achieving with valve fully open.
        > Also are you using any means of directing reflux back to the center
        > of the column.
        >
        > BR
      • bradr36
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2005
          i follow ya , washer is being used like a single reducer
          what is your columnmade of

          BR

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x> wrote:

          > Hi, BR. The still 'facts sheet' below should answer your questions.
          > But if not, fire away again!
          >
          > The washer hole is made the same size as the valve on the basis that
          > it will split the vapour 50:50. This washer is the iffyist part but
          > think it is working OK but it does need to seal against the sides
          and
          > it does need to direct the reflux into the packing. Maybe you, or
          > someone else, can improve on my design. Maybe it should have a short
          > downwards pointing tapering tube going from 35mm to 20mm to make
          more
          > certain of the re-direction?
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Lindsay.
          >
          > -------------------------------
          > Column
          > 50mm diam
          > 1180mm to take-off nipple
          > 250mm above nipple
          > restricting washer with 20mm hole in it resting on take-off nipple
          > hole peined down to run liquid into packing
          >
          > Liebig
          > Inner tube 590mm X 12mm OD
          > Outer tube 460mm X 22mm
          >
          > Reflux Coil
          > 27 tns of 3/16" tubing
          >
          > Valve
          > 20mm gate valve
          >
          > Comments
          > What appealed to me about VM is its simplicity and easy control. It
          > also shuts down as tails come in. The column is just a tube with a
          > 20mm nipple welded into it. I got a local muffler place to do it for
          > me. The reflux coil just hangs in the top which is open to the air.
          > The gate valve screws onto the nipple and then goes to one arm of a
          > brass tee joint. The other arm has a cap and this cap has a hole for
          > the thermometer probe. The Liebig is attached to the tee vertical.
          All
          > std 3/4" plumbing fittings.
          >
          > The restricting washer has PTFE tape around its rim to seal it
          against
          > the column to prevent liquid running down the walls (I hope!). The
          > theoretical minimum reflux ratio is 50% (both take-off arms are same
          > 20mm size).
          >
          > To strip a wash, or take tails, I just open the valve fully and up
          the
          > power to the boiler.
          >

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bradr36" <bradr36@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Lindsey, if i remember correctly you have a VM still.
          > > Curious what size piping you are using for the two vapor paths
          and
          > > the ratio of reflux you think you are achieving with valve fully
          open.
          > > Also are you using any means of directing reflux back to the
          center
          > > of the column.
          > >
          > > BR
        • Lindsay Williams
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2005
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bradr36" <bradr36@y...> wrote:

            > i follow ya , washer is being used like a single reducer

            That would be right.

            > what is your column made of

            SS.

            > BR