RE: Diacetyl: Tests & Remedies (was) Re: Unwanted butter - toffee flavour follow

  • Boot _
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2005
      >Something else worth a try. Yeast eats diacetyl. Dilute your
      >spirit all the way back to less than 10% abv. Repitch with a
      >healthy frothing starter culture. Bubble lock it and wait 3 days.
      >Redistill.
      >
      >Avoiding Diacetyl:
      >Overpitch the yeast.
      >Keep the ferment temperature down.
      >
      >Testing for Diacetyl:
      >Take two samples of fermented wort.
      >Heat one sample to about 60�C for 30 minutes, and then cool it in an
      >ice bucket to the same temperature as the control sample. If the
      >heated sample tastes more buttery than the control sample, your beer
      >has excess alpha-acetolactate, which is the precursor of diacetyl.
      >
      >Removing Diacetyl:
      >If tests show alpha-acetolactate, Stir up the lees and also repitch
      >a healthy starter, about half what you normally use for
      >fermentation. Bubblelock the wort and wait 3 days. Distill as per
      >usual.

      Great stuff Harry! I don't think I'll go to all the trouble of dituting this
      particular batch and redistilling it, as I can make use of it in creative
      ways, but I like your test and rescue method for future brews.

      Cheers,
      Boot

      SEEK: Now with over 60,000 dream jobs! Click here:
      http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail