Diacetyl: Tests & Remedies (was) Re: Unwanted butter - toffee flavour follow-up

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Boot _" <boot136@h...> wrote:
      > G'day peeniwali,
      >
      > You might be right about being able to filter the diacetyl out,
      I'm not
      > sure. I don't generally use much carbon, just a small sprinkle in
      the bottom
      > of my dilution tub, but maybe I'll dump a bit more in and see what
      happens.
      > Good idea.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Boot

      Something else worth a try. Yeast eats diacetyl. Dilute your
      spirit all the way back to less than 10% abv. Repitch with a
      healthy frothing starter culture. Bubble lock it and wait 3 days.
      Redistill.

      Avoiding Diacetyl:
      Overpitch the yeast.
      Keep the ferment temperature down.

      Testing for Diacetyl:
      Take two samples of fermented wort.
      Heat one sample to about 60°C for 30 minutes, and then cool it in an
      ice bucket to the same temperature as the control sample. If the
      heated sample tastes more buttery than the control sample, your beer
      has excess alpha-acetolactate, which is the precursor of diacetyl.

      Removing Diacetyl:
      If tests show alpha-acetolactate, Stir up the lees and also repitch
      a healthy starter, about half what you normally use for
      fermentation. Bubblelock the wort and wait 3 days. Distill as per
      usual.

      HTH