Blue/Green corrosion

  • Shane Kirkman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
      Hi
      I am getting a blue/green corrosion when I do a second distillation.
      The still has a stainless column, with a copper tee and copper offset
      head.(Brass fittings). Boiler is copper with a zinc? type of coating.
      The corrosion starts about one third up the condenser coil then runs down
      the offset, right down to where the head joins the stainless column.(Where
      ever the reflux runs down).

      It doesn't happen on stripping runs, only on slow 2nd runs, 24hrs or more.
      Sometime three days.
      I thoroughly clean the still between stripping and 2nd run. I dot add
      anything to the spirit except water.

      Eat-Drink-Smoke and be Happy.
      Shane.
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
        Could be dirty brass, clean brass fittings with 2:1
        vinegar/hydrogen peroxide 3% mix.
        Soak the fittings until they are a buttery yellow
        color to remove surface impurities (inc. minute
        amounts of lead)
        What was the boiler made from? What was the vessel
        used for originally? is the coating on the inside? Tin
        maybe?

        Jeff

        --- Shane Kirkman <causewaylake@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------

        Hi
        I am getting a blue/green corrosion when I do a second
        distillation.
        The still has a stainless column, with a copper tee
        and copper offset
        head.(Brass fittings). Boiler is copper with a zinc?
        type of coating.
        The corrosion starts about one third up the condenser
        coil then runs down
        the offset, right down to where the head joins the
        stainless column.(Where
        ever the reflux runs down).

        It doesn't happen on stripping runs, only on slow 2nd
        runs, 24hrs or more.
        Sometime three days.
        I thoroughly clean the still between stripping and 2nd
        run. I dot add
        anything to the spirit except water.

        Eat-Drink-Smoke and be Happy.
        Shane.

        Distillers list archives :
        http://archive.nnytech.net/

        Terms of Service.

      • rodmacd2000
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2005
          Almost certainly caused by reaction between the copper and certain
          sulpher compounds which are always in your wash vapour. Its doing you
          a favour really by removing this stuff from your product.

          You didn't mention what you use for packing - copper or stainless
          steel? Copper packing should absorb most of the sulpher compounds
          before they reach your condenser.

          I either case it's a good idea to occasionally remove the crap from
          your copper by soaking it for a couple of hours in a mild acid
          solution (eg. vinegar).

          Hope thus helps

          Rod

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Kirkman"
          <causewaylake@y...> wrote:

          > Hi
          > I am getting a blue/green corrosion when I do a second distillation.
          > The still has a stainless column, with a copper tee and copper
          offset
          > head.(Brass fittings). Boiler is copper with a zinc? type of
          coating.
          > The corrosion starts about one third up the condenser coil then
          runs down
          > the offset, right down to where the head joins the stainless column.
          (Where
          > ever the reflux runs down).
          >
          > It doesn't happen on stripping runs, only on slow 2nd runs, 24hrs
          or more.
          > Sometime three days.
          > I thoroughly clean the still between stripping and 2nd run. I dot
          add
          > anything to the spirit except water.
          >
          > Eat-Drink-Smoke and be Happy.
          > Shane.
        • Shane Kirkman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2005
            >Could be dirty brass,

            Thought about that, but the corrosion starts 10cm above the last brass
            connector,(on the condenser all copper).
            To my understanding the lead out of brass dosn't carry up with the vapor.
            Ps, Sorry about the late reply, but I am 500 emails behind.

            Eat-Drink-Smoke and be Happy.
            Shane.