Re: I have some ingriedents and need a recipe

  • yttrium_nitrate
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
      Corn and barley together can make bourbon. The typical bourbon wash
      would be around 2/3rds corn and 1/3rd malted barley.

      How large of a wash do you want to make?

      > Ok here is what I have, 1lb Flaked Maize, 1lb. Flaked Rye,1 lb wheat
      > malt, 1lb 2 row Barley malt, Plenty of corn meal and plenty of sugar.
      > Is there a good recipe for mixing these ingriedents togeather ??? Any
      > help would be appreciated. Thanks
      >
      > Suitcase
    • Saul Sabia
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
        > Message: 24
        > Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:23:36 -0000
        > From: "suitcase1498" <suitcase1499@...>
        > Subject: I have some ingriedents and need a recipe
        >

        > Ok here is what I have, 1lb Flaked Maize, 1lb. Flaked Rye,1 lb wheat
        > malt, 1lb 2 row Barley malt, Plenty of corn meal and plenty of sugar.
        > Is there a good recipe for mixing these ingriedents togeather ??? Any
        > help would be appreciated. Thanks
        >
        > Suitcase

        i actually just completed a run using a wash that was 5 lbs cornmeal, 1 lb wheat
        malt, 1 lb 6-row barley, with a couple handfuls of brown sugar thrown in , two heaping
        tsp of unsulphured molasses, and a small can of tomato paste. came out pretty
        sweet, but i had to take a pretty severe cut. (i don't remember how much brown sugar
        or table sugar i used...)

        it kinda depends what you want... a straight-up mash would usually be 10-15 pounds
        of grain in a 5 gal batch. A lot of recipes use something like 70% corn, 16% barley,
        and 14% something else. For you that might end up being 8-10 lbs of corn meal, a
        pound of 2-row and a pound of wheat malt (rounding unabashedly). Personally, i might
        be concerned about not having enough enzymes (wheat and 2-row are both pretty low in
        enzymes) so i'd probably add beano after the cooking + cooling right before i pitch.
        This should give you a decent abv mash, 7-8% i think but since it's all grain it should
        ferment faster than with table sugar. (my above mash took 2 weeks to finish, i must've
        used a good couple of pounds of sugar in it)

        adding the rye will add a spiciness, the wheat is usually smoother, corn adds sweetness,
        and you need your barley... maybe next time get 6-row barley malt instead? higher
        enzymes, more likely to get a better conversion.

        the biggest pita is that you have to stir your corn meal a lot, otherwise it'll clump and
        burn.

        good luck, keep us posted with your results.

        Saul

        The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Kim
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
          suitcase,

          Take 2 lb of the corn meal and boil it in about 3 gal of water

          cool it to 160 def F ...add the flaked maize, the flaked rye,
          ......grind both the 1 lb of barley malt and the 1 lb of wheat malt
          (if they arn't already ground up) and add them to the pot...

          stir it up and cover it ,,,,, let it sit for 30 to 45 minutes.....

          dump it into a 5 or 6 gal bucket and add 10 lb of sugar.....stir it
          and add tap water and adj the temp to 85 deg F....

          add about 4 tablespoons of distillers yeast or 6 of those little packs
          of rapid rise bread yeast......

          when it's done fermenting ... run it like whiskey and put it on
          charred oak for a month or 2...

          Kim

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yttrium_nitrate" <incatare@h...>
          wrote:

          > Corn and barley together can make bourbon. The typical bourbon wash
          > would be around 2/3rds corn and 1/3rd malted barley.
          >
          > How large of a wash do you want to make?
          >

          > > Ok here is what I have, 1lb Flaked Maize, 1lb. Flaked Rye,1 lb wheat
          > > malt, 1lb 2 row Barley malt, Plenty of corn meal and plenty of sugar.
          > > Is there a good recipe for mixing these ingriedents togeather ??? Any
          > > help would be appreciated. Thanks
          > >
          > > Suitcase
        • Brendan Keith
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005
            I'm also looking for a simple, tried and true bourbon recipe. I know many
            have been posted and there are many more on the files/recipes page, but I've
            got 50lbs of cracked corn, 500lbs of assorted malts (pale, chocolate, dark,
            Weizen DME) and 5gal of spring water ready to go.

            P.S. Does anyone know if dried malt extract (DME) has any viable enzymes
            left in it, with which to convert, say, the corn, or do I need to use my
            grain malt?
            Corn and barley together can make bourbon. The typical bourbon wash
            would be around 2/3rds corn and 1/3rd malted barley.

            How large of a wash do you want to make?

            > Ok here is what I have, 1lb Flaked Maize, 1lb. Flaked Rye,1 lb wheat
            > malt, 1lb 2 row Barley malt, Plenty of corn meal and plenty of sugar.
            > Is there a good recipe for mixing these ingriedents togeather ??? Any
            > help would be appreciated. Thanks
            >
            > Suitcase

          • Rana Pipiens
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005
              Brenden, DME wiill require enzymes for conversion. Rana

              Brendan Keith <bkeith@...> wrote:

              P.S. Does anyone know if dried malt extract (DME) has any viable enzymes
              left in it, with which to convert, say, the corn, or do I need to use my
              grain malt?

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Brendan Keith
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005
                Fair enough. I already made a malt liquor with the DME and distilled it to
                a whisky (identifiable as such, but by no means pleasant, I really need to
                work on a carbon/charcoal setup).

                I'll use the whole grain (lightly crushed) with the corn on the next batch.

                Brendan