Re: [Distillers] Re: Making a small diameter condenser coil

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
      jamyd_007 wrote:
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: Making a small diameter condenser coil

      By the way, with a practice piece I tried filling a piece of 1/4"
      flexible copper tube with ice and bending that around a 1/2" form. It
      worked reasonably well. It has to be winter to work with it though
      before it melts because you can just go outside and have lots of time
      to work. It melts quickly at room temperature.
      =================
      Hi Jamyd,

      First of all, let me apologise if "Ed's Journey" on our website led to you havig problems with using sand to prevent tubing collapsing when making coils. It is useful only when the tubing has a fairly large diameter ... as you have found out to your cost! Jim Puchai is quite right when he says that "Field's metal" or "Wood's metal" is the excellent stuff to use, but it is difficult to get hold of these days as it does, as he also points out, contains cadmium and is therefore more strictly controlled.

      Ice. I'm afraid, is not the way to go. As any skater will tell you, ice melts when under pressure, even when kept below normal freezing point. Some have tried sealing water in the tubing by closing both ends, for water is practically incompressible, but I have never heard any glad cries of success from anyone using that method.

      You might try salt, as Suitcase has suggested. That, at least, will dissolve in water afterwards ... it will just take a long time for the water to get through all the coils. Professionally, you would use a mandrel of the right diameter that has a helical groove cut into it, and a "pulley wheel" moved by a lever to "persuade" the tubing into those grooves (have a look at a plumber's pipe bender).

      Good luck with your efforts!

      All the best,
      Mike N

      .

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
        > jamyd_007 wrote:

        > Hi Jamyd,
        <snip>
        > Ice. I'm afraid, is not the way to go. As any skater will tell
        you, ice melts when under pressure, even when kept below normal
        freezing point. Some have tried sealing water in the tubing by
        closing both ends, for water is practically incompressible, but I
        have never heard any glad cries of success from anyone using that
        method.

        > You might try salt, as Suitcase has suggested. That, at least,
        will dissolve in water afterwards ... it will just take a long time
        for the water to get through all the coils. Professionally, you
        would use a mandrel of the right diameter that has a helical groove
        cut into it, and a "pulley wheel" moved by a lever to "persuade" the
        tubing into those grooves (have a look at a plumber's pipe bender).

        > Good luck with your efforts!
        >
        > All the best,
        > Mike N

        The trick is simple, really. A pair of welder's leather gauntlets,
        a pair of pliers, a propane torch and a former and tubing. Do it
        slowly. Heat a couple inches, bend a couple inches while applying
        stretch to the end of the tubing with the pliers. Heat a bit more,
        bend a bit more etc. etc. Patience, patience.

        As you heat each small section, it softens. Apply stretch to keep
        things trim and taut, while using your gloved hands to keep it all
        neat. The small amount of working applied to the tubing rehardens
        it as you go, which is why you must do it in small increments.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
          wrote:

          > The trick is simple, really. A pair of welder's leather
          gauntlets,
          > a pair of pliers, a propane torch and a former and tubing. Do it
          > slowly. Heat a couple inches, bend a couple inches while applying
          > stretch to the end of the tubing with the pliers. Heat a bit
          more,
          > bend a bit more etc. etc. Patience, patience.
          >
          > As you heat each small section, it softens. Apply stretch to keep
          > things trim and taut, while using your gloved hands to keep it all
          > neat. The small amount of working applied to the tubing rehardens
          > it as you go, which is why you must do it in small increments.
          >
          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

          Sorry, I must be getting inebriated. :-)
          I forgot the important bit. The cold wet rag. Apply to each heated
          section as you go. THIS is what softens the copper tubing.
          Apologies for that. :-/