Heaters

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2000
      Howdy

      I have installed my heaters into my beer keg boiler, I went with two
      immersion heaters installing them opposite one another, one about 1" off the
      bottom of the keg an the other about 1 3/4" off the bottom so that the
      elements would not touch, the elements being about 11" long, I drilled the
      holes, and then welded two female fittings over each hole because the
      heaters are the screw in kind, maybe they all are I don't know, but a
      plumber friend of mine gave these to me so that is what I used if they had
      been someother attachment I would have just mounted them someother way I'm
      like that, they were brand new, and they were free and I would make them
      work one way or another.

      The heaters are overkill in that they are 3000 watters at 240 volts, (I
      think I should be able to get it up to a boil pretty quick :>), I plan on
      plugging into my cloths-dryer plug, and wireing them so that I can run one
      by itself or two together, probably by using a simple breaker or knife
      switch or something of that nature I will have to hunt thru my collection to
      see what I come up with. they are also going to be wired to a 120 volt
      normal house recepticle, and configured the same way as the 240 above
      running just one or both together, probably using the same switching device
      as I will only be using one voltage range at a time, because they are 3000
      watts at 240, they will be 750 watts each at 120 volts, so I could have one
      running at 750 watts or both running together at 1500 watts, or if I really
      want I should be able to run one at 3000 watts, and one at 750 watts or to
      put it a little simpler (as even I am getting confused) I will have
      available to the boiler either 750, 1500, 3000, 3750, or 6000 watts, WOW do
      I need all this? probably not but that is the way it is put together so I am
      stuck with it.

      I have not as yet built the condenser because it seems I will have very low
      or no water pressure to keep it cool enough to condense the vapours, so I am
      looking at other alternatives, and will be delighted to have your
      suggestions?

      Man I have been working on this Still for a few weeks now,(off and on of
      course as in most hobbies) it's enough to drive you to drink...

      Catch ya all later

      Pictures to follow maybe in a week or two.

      Regards Mel