Re: [Distillers] What Type of set up do I need to Produce 1.5 Ltrs per Hr.

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2005
      suitcase1498 wrote:
      Subject: [Distillers] What Type of set up do I need to Produce 1.5 Ltrs per
      Hr.

      I would appreciate any help. I have a 58 liter boiler and would like
      to be able to produce at least 1.5 liters of product per hour as I
      don't have alot of extra time. Now I only have a 1.5" x 26" column
      get about 500ml per hr @ 80% Abv. Do I need a larger diameter column
      say 3" or 4" would that make a big difference ??? Please help...
      =================
      Hi Suitcase,

      A larger diameter column will indeed be the way to go, but please let me
      caution you to approach this as you would a tiger ... with caution! Three
      inches should present few problems, but if you suddenly jump from 1.5" to 4"
      then you will probably have many sleepless nights. Correction, you WILL
      have insomnia! That is an enormous jump in technique, and not one to be
      taken lightly. In fact, you will probably find that 2" diameter with a 36"
      column will suit you best, for not only will it be cheaper to build, but
      will call for much the same techniques you now use with your 1.5" diameter
      shorter column. Such a 2" column is perfectly capable of achieving your
      goal, and probably with no changes to your boiler, for 58 liters is getting
      to be seriously large! You should also be able to improve on your present
      80% abv without even trying.

      All the best,
      Mike N