Re: [Distillers] Re: Trial Run on Reflx Column

  • suitcase1499@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
      In a message dated 1/1/2005 11:43:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      gnikomson2000@... writes:

      This will enable you to increase the heat input without increasing
      the vapor speed. Then you'll get your increased product output and
      no loss of quality. But remember, all is relative. If you increase
      the heat, you need to remove that increased heat at the condenser,
      IOW up the coolant flowrate to match.

      My pump is a standard sump pump it recirculates the water at 25GPM or 1250
      GPH this should do Huh??? I'm thinking of going to a 3" or maybe 4" column, As
      all my friends are drunks as well (LOL) How much output could I expect from
      that??? Thanks Harry. This shit is new to me I've always been potstill man we
      never had a thermometer in one I don't think till I was about 16 or 18 years
      old.I'm from the mountains of North Carolina all we knew was corn liquor and now
      I'm trying to learn some new stuff to pass on to my grand kids. I really
      appreciate all you do to help, The internet is a graet thing since I've finally
      learned how to use it. Many thanks Harry.

      Suitcase

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, suitcase1499@a... wrote:
        > My pump is a standard sump pump it recirculates the water at 25GPM
        or 1250
        > GPH this should do Huh???

        I'm thinking of going to a 3" or maybe 4" column, As
        > all my friends are drunks as well (LOL) How much output could I
        expect from
        > that???

        Thanks Harry. This shit is new to me I've always been potstill man
        we
        > never had a thermometer in one I don't think till I was about 16
        or 18 years
        > old.I'm from the mountains of North Carolina all we knew was corn
        liquor and now
        > I'm trying to learn some new stuff to pass on to my grand kids.

        go to a proper reflux outfit with condenser to match. There's loads
        about coils, offset and crossflow heads in the archives and on
        Tony's site http://homedistiller.org
        Trust me, the grandkids will appreciate it.

        I really
        > appreciate all you do to help, The internet is a graet thing since
        I've finally
        > learned how to use it. Many thanks Harry.

        column. Now you're getting into the realms of shall we say "above
        average" home distilling. ;-)
        You'll need to have a much larger surface area in the boiling wash
        for the larger volume of vapor to escape. A simple solution to that
        is to take said keg, turn it on it's SIDE, cut a hole in the side to
        match your salad bowl and big column, then put 2 or 3 burners or
        modified gaspipes under the thing. Of course you'll need to plate
        off the existing hole you've got. With a rig like that you could
        get a couple GALLONS per hour, but it's no longer a hobby thing, is
        it? :^)

      • suitcase1499@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
          In a message dated 1/2/2005 12:14:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          gnikomson2000@... writes:

          go to a proper reflux outfit with condenser to match. There's loads
          about coils, offset and crossflow heads in the archives and on
          Tony's site http://homedistiller.org
          Trust me, the grandkids will appreciate it

          Do you mean like a Nixon Stone or something like Alex makes so as the vapor
          doesn't flow through the condensor , just the coolant and the vapor goes to it
          condeses and falls back down ??? As I said I'm just a dumbass country boy...
          Thanks Again Harry I really apreciate all your help. Excuse my spelling it's
          12:30 am here 1/2/05 I'm about half lit. : ) What time is it there.

          Suitcase