Re: Trial Run on Reflx Column

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, suitcase1499@a... wrote:
      > OK Harry,
      > You lost me there I'm a dumbass country boy with a
      little
      > education not a Masters Degree (LOL) I have no idea what that
      means. and I do
      > have a metal ring not fire brick just steel with air holes to
      direct the heat, a
      > friend made it for me to fit the bottom of the keg. But it still
      helps heat
      > the barn I have it in an enclosed stall of 8' x 12' with a lot of
      air holes
      > believe me. Bottom line is how can I increase output would two
      columns do it or
      > just need two stills.???? Thanks
      >
      > Oh yeah I do have that internal heat source for myself 86 proof
      plain sugar
      > head : )
      >
      > Suitcase.

      Sorry about the maths equation. The reason I gave it is to explain
      why a small increase in column diameter gives such a large change in
      performance or output, which is the "bottom line answer" to your
      question. YOU NEED A BIGGER DIAMETER COLUMN to achieve bigger
      output. (not shouting, just emphasising) :-)

      All is relative. To increase output, you need to put more vapor up
      the column. This requires more applied heat. More heat requires an
      increase in column capacity, otherwise the vapor speed will increase
      also, and reduce your purity.

      The math on column capacity is easy to follow if you remember back
      to school when they taught about circles. There are formulae for
      circumference, area, cylinder volume (that's what we want).

      To explain: Pi is always 3.1416 (near enough). R is radius of
      column (half the diameter). ^2 is the previous number (radius)
      multiplied by itself. Ht is the height of the column.
      So for your column (cylinder) it's:
      Pi x R^2 x Ht
      3.1416 x 0.75" x 0.75" x 26" which gives 46 cubic inches.

      If you increase the column to 2", then:
      3.1416 x 1.0" x 1.0" x 26" which gives 81 cubic inches, nearly
      double the volume or capacity.

      This will enable you to increase the heat input without increasing
      the vapor speed. Then you'll get your increased product output and
      no loss of quality. But remember, all is relative. If you increase
      the heat, you need to remove that increased heat at the condenser,
      IOW up the coolant flowrate to match.

    • suitcase1499@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
        In a message dated 1/1/2005 11:43:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        gnikomson2000@... writes:

        This will enable you to increase the heat input without increasing
        the vapor speed. Then you'll get your increased product output and
        no loss of quality. But remember, all is relative. If you increase
        the heat, you need to remove that increased heat at the condenser,
        IOW up the coolant flowrate to match.

        My pump is a standard sump pump it recirculates the water at 25GPM or 1250
        GPH this should do Huh??? I'm thinking of going to a 3" or maybe 4" column, As
        all my friends are drunks as well (LOL) How much output could I expect from
        that??? Thanks Harry. This shit is new to me I've always been potstill man we
        never had a thermometer in one I don't think till I was about 16 or 18 years
        old.I'm from the mountains of North Carolina all we knew was corn liquor and now
        I'm trying to learn some new stuff to pass on to my grand kids. I really
        appreciate all you do to help, The internet is a graet thing since I've finally
        learned how to use it. Many thanks Harry.

        Suitcase

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, suitcase1499@a... wrote:
          > My pump is a standard sump pump it recirculates the water at 25GPM
          or 1250
          > GPH this should do Huh???

          I'm thinking of going to a 3" or maybe 4" column, As
          > all my friends are drunks as well (LOL) How much output could I
          expect from
          > that???

          Thanks Harry. This shit is new to me I've always been potstill man
          we
          > never had a thermometer in one I don't think till I was about 16
          or 18 years
          > old.I'm from the mountains of North Carolina all we knew was corn
          liquor and now
          > I'm trying to learn some new stuff to pass on to my grand kids.

          go to a proper reflux outfit with condenser to match. There's loads
          about coils, offset and crossflow heads in the archives and on
          Tony's site http://homedistiller.org
          Trust me, the grandkids will appreciate it.

          I really
          > appreciate all you do to help, The internet is a graet thing since
          I've finally
          > learned how to use it. Many thanks Harry.

          column. Now you're getting into the realms of shall we say "above
          average" home distilling. ;-)
          You'll need to have a much larger surface area in the boiling wash
          for the larger volume of vapor to escape. A simple solution to that
          is to take said keg, turn it on it's SIDE, cut a hole in the side to
          match your salad bowl and big column, then put 2 or 3 burners or
          modified gaspipes under the thing. Of course you'll need to plate
          off the existing hole you've got. With a rig like that you could
          get a couple GALLONS per hour, but it's no longer a hobby thing, is
          it? :^)

        • suitcase1499@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
            In a message dated 1/2/2005 12:14:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            gnikomson2000@... writes:

            go to a proper reflux outfit with condenser to match. There's loads
            about coils, offset and crossflow heads in the archives and on
            Tony's site http://homedistiller.org
            Trust me, the grandkids will appreciate it

            Do you mean like a Nixon Stone or something like Alex makes so as the vapor
            doesn't flow through the condensor , just the coolant and the vapor goes to it
            condeses and falls back down ??? As I said I'm just a dumbass country boy...
            Thanks Again Harry I really apreciate all your help. Excuse my spelling it's
            12:30 am here 1/2/05 I'm about half lit. : ) What time is it there.

            Suitcase