What Type of set up do I need to Produce 1.5 Ltrs per Hr.

  • suitcase1498
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2005
      I would appreciate any help. I have a 58 liter boiler and would like
      to be able to produce at least 1.5 liters of product per hour as I
      don't have alot of extra time. Now I only have a 1.5" x 26" column
      get about 500ml per hr @ 80% Abv. Do I need a larger diameter column
      say 3" or 4" would that make a big difference ??? Please help...
      Thanks

      Suitcase
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2005
        suitcase1498 wrote:
        Subject: [Distillers] What Type of set up do I need to Produce 1.5 Ltrs per
        Hr.

        I would appreciate any help. I have a 58 liter boiler and would like
        to be able to produce at least 1.5 liters of product per hour as I
        don't have alot of extra time. Now I only have a 1.5" x 26" column
        get about 500ml per hr @ 80% Abv. Do I need a larger diameter column
        say 3" or 4" would that make a big difference ??? Please help...
        =================
        Hi Suitcase,

        A larger diameter column will indeed be the way to go, but please let me
        caution you to approach this as you would a tiger ... with caution! Three
        inches should present few problems, but if you suddenly jump from 1.5" to 4"
        then you will probably have many sleepless nights. Correction, you WILL
        have insomnia! That is an enormous jump in technique, and not one to be
        taken lightly. In fact, you will probably find that 2" diameter with a 36"
        column will suit you best, for not only will it be cheaper to build, but
        will call for much the same techniques you now use with your 1.5" diameter
        shorter column. Such a 2" column is perfectly capable of achieving your
        goal, and probably with no changes to your boiler, for 58 liters is getting
        to be seriously large! You should also be able to improve on your present
        80% abv without even trying.

        All the best,
        Mike N