Impending Disaster

  • auldfardt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hi guys,
      Are there any winemakers out there. I'm making my first batch of
      wine and I,ve got a problem. I would be grateful for any help or
      advice.

      I purchased 50 kg of muscat grapes, pressed them & placed them into a
      40litre fermenter. The S.G. was 1.07 and I added 1.5kg of white
      sugar. The temperature of the must was 26C.

      I added 2 flat teaspoons of sodium metta mixed with 1liter of water &
      stirred this in. Left it to stand overnight.

      I then sprinkled 2 sachets of general purpose wine yeast on to the
      top & stirred it in (I now know that this is NOT how to do it).

      It's now 24 hours after adding the yeast & there's no sign of
      fermentation starting.

      I do not have any more wine yeast & it's the middle of the new years
      holliday. There are no brew shops open until Tuesday.

      My questions :

      Should I :

      1) Wait until Tuesday to get some more wine yeast. Will the must
      keep until then - I can't refrigerate it.

      2) Add a packet od Alcotes Turbo 48 yeast . If I do this, will I
      still end up with a drinkable wine?

      3) Add 2 packets of larger(beer) yeast. Will this result in off
      flavours?

      4) Just hit it with the Turbo 48 & settle for making a brandy wash?

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Greg (AuldFardt) Queensland, Australia
    • suitcase1499@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2005
        Just my opinion I'd add the turbo and make some fine brandy, remember this is
        just my opinion, I'm no expert on this I'm just a moonshiner (LOL).
        In all reality I'd do what I thought suited me best..... I do believe it
        would keep refrigerated. Once again just my opinion.

        Suitcase

      • Derek Hamlet
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2005
          RELAX and I do mean relax.
          For starters, you sprinkled the yeast onto the must. I'm not surprised
          that you don't see any action after 24 hours. For a fast start, you might
          have considered making a starter which consists of:
          1. rehydrate the yeast in water at a suitable tempt. 40C.
          2. Add a little of your must at 30 degrees C. You will see action.
          Keep adding must every half hour or so, until you get a bubbling frothy
          mass happening. Keep this up for a couple of days until you get about two
          litres of frothing starter happening. Add this to your must. It will
          really take off. Assumptions about cleanliness etc. are assumed.
          For Chrissakes, don't do anything like add turbo or beer yeast or anything
          else. Keep it covered until you can get to your local wine shop.
          What is a general purpose wine yeast. There is no such thing. Oh a wine
          kit company might call their little sachet general purpose wine
          yeast. What that really means is that it is probably Lalvin EC1118 which
          is a very forgiving yeast that has a high alcohol tolerance. It doesn't do
          everything well but it's pretty damn forgiving.
          Every yeast does different things. Some are great for pulling out the
          fruity aspects of the grapes etc.
          BTW muscat grapes are a challenge at the best of times. They were very
          popular here in North America in the first 75 years of the last century
          because they adapted well to the climate. However, they produced fairly
          crappy wine called Muscatel that my granny would have served at Christmas.
          These days N. America produces some of the very best wines in the world.
          We all know about California. They produce great wines in the Napa.
          Here in British Columbia we produce world quality reds and whites in the
          Okanogan valley. We still struggle with grapes like Zinfandel that require
          incredibly high heats to produce qualithy grapes but, we're working on it.
          My guess is that Washington State's wines will be coming on like
          gangbusters in the next 10-20 years. They have a valley just like our
          Canadian Okanogan that is virtually untouched.
          Anyway, leave that must alone. It will be allright.
          What do you mean you pressed the grapes, did you mean crushed the grapes?
          At 06:14 PM 01/01/2005, you wrote:

          >Hi guys,
          >Are there any winemakers out there. I'm making my first batch of
          >wine and I,ve got a problem. I would be grateful for any help or
          >advice.
          >
          >I purchased 50 kg of muscat grapes, pressed them & placed them into a
          >40litre fermenter. The S.G. was 1.07 and I added 1.5kg of white
          >sugar. The temperature of the must was 26C.
          >
          >I added 2 flat teaspoons of sodium metta mixed with 1liter of water &
          >stirred this in. Left it to stand overnight.
          >
          >I then sprinkled 2 sachets of general purpose wine yeast on to the
          >top & stirred it in (I now know that this is NOT how to do it).
          >
          >It's now 24 hours after adding the yeast & there's no sign of
          >fermentation starting.
          >
          >I do not have any more wine yeast & it's the middle of the new years
          >holliday. There are no brew shops open until Tuesday.
          >
          >My questions :
          >
          >Should I :
          >
          >1) Wait until Tuesday to get some more wine yeast. Will the must
          >keep until then - I can't refrigerate it.
          >
          >2) Add a packet od Alcotes Turbo 48 yeast . If I do this, will I
          >still end up with a drinkable wine?
          >
          >3) Add 2 packets of larger(beer) yeast. Will this result in off
          >flavours?
          >
          >4) Just hit it with the Turbo 48 & settle for making a brandy wash?
          >
          >Any help would be appreciated.
          >

          >Greg (AuldFardt) Queensland, Australia

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Derek Hamlet
          Victoria, B.C.
        • auldfardt
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2005
            Thanks for your help Derek,

            See my replies below

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@s...>
            wrote:
            > For Chrissakes, don't do anything like add turbo or beer yeast or
            >anything else. Keep it covered until you can get to your local wine
            >shop.

            Will do.

            > BTW muscat grapes are a challenge at the best of times. They were
            >very
            > popular here in North America in the first 75 years of the last
            >century because they adapted well to the climate. However, they
            >produced fairly
            > crappy wine called Muscatel that my granny would have served at
            >Christmas.

            Unfortunately, when you live in Cairns, North Queensland, your choice
            of grapes is somewhat limited. If it turns out crappy, I guess it
            will go into the still for a brandy run :)

            > What do you mean you pressed the grapes, did you mean crushed the
            >grapes?

            I tipped them into a bucket, 5kg at a time & trampled them with my
            feet :)

            Thanks
            Greg
          • king pin
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005
              I'm a little surprised that it hasn't started fermenting yet. Being that your in Australia, it would be summer, so temp. should not be an issue. Assuming you crushed and pressed the grapes properly, you really wouldn't need to add sugar or yeast to start fermentation. At least, I've never had the need to. Its not uncommon for it to take longer than 24 hrs for fermentation to start, so take it easy. I'd wager it will start, all on its own, given a bit of time.

              Good luck,

              KP

              Derek Hamlet
              Victoria, B.C.