Re: [Distillers] Re: Trial Run on Reflx Column

  • suitcase1499@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
      In a message dated 1/1/2005 7:52:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      gnikomson2000@... writes:

      > Ok. There's a couple of things you need to get your head around.
      >
      > 1) The volume of a column is Pi x R^2 x Ht.

      OK Harry,
      You lost me there I'm a dumbass country boy with a little
      education not a Masters Degree (LOL) I have no idea what that means. and I do
      have a metal ring not fire brick just steel with air holes to direct the heat, a
      friend made it for me to fit the bottom of the keg. But it still helps heat
      the barn I have it in an enclosed stall of 8' x 12' with a lot of air holes
      believe me. Bottom line is how can I increase output would two columns do it or
      just need two stills.???? Thanks

      Oh yeah I do have that internal heat source for myself 86 proof plain sugar
      head : )

      Suitcase.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, suitcase1499@a... wrote:
        > OK Harry,
        > You lost me there I'm a dumbass country boy with a
        little
        > education not a Masters Degree (LOL) I have no idea what that
        means. and I do
        > have a metal ring not fire brick just steel with air holes to
        direct the heat, a
        > friend made it for me to fit the bottom of the keg. But it still
        helps heat
        > the barn I have it in an enclosed stall of 8' x 12' with a lot of
        air holes
        > believe me. Bottom line is how can I increase output would two
        columns do it or
        > just need two stills.???? Thanks
        >
        > Oh yeah I do have that internal heat source for myself 86 proof
        plain sugar
        > head : )
        >
        > Suitcase.

        Sorry about the maths equation. The reason I gave it is to explain
        why a small increase in column diameter gives such a large change in
        performance or output, which is the "bottom line answer" to your
        question. YOU NEED A BIGGER DIAMETER COLUMN to achieve bigger
        output. (not shouting, just emphasising) :-)

        All is relative. To increase output, you need to put more vapor up
        the column. This requires more applied heat. More heat requires an
        increase in column capacity, otherwise the vapor speed will increase
        also, and reduce your purity.

        The math on column capacity is easy to follow if you remember back
        to school when they taught about circles. There are formulae for
        circumference, area, cylinder volume (that's what we want).

        To explain: Pi is always 3.1416 (near enough). R is radius of
        column (half the diameter). ^2 is the previous number (radius)
        multiplied by itself. Ht is the height of the column.
        So for your column (cylinder) it's:
        Pi x R^2 x Ht
        3.1416 x 0.75" x 0.75" x 26" which gives 46 cubic inches.

        If you increase the column to 2", then:
        3.1416 x 1.0" x 1.0" x 26" which gives 81 cubic inches, nearly
        double the volume or capacity.

        This will enable you to increase the heat input without increasing
        the vapor speed. Then you'll get your increased product output and
        no loss of quality. But remember, all is relative. If you increase
        the heat, you need to remove that increased heat at the condenser,
        IOW up the coolant flowrate to match.

      • suitcase1499@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
          In a message dated 1/1/2005 11:43:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          gnikomson2000@... writes:

          This will enable you to increase the heat input without increasing
          the vapor speed. Then you'll get your increased product output and
          no loss of quality. But remember, all is relative. If you increase
          the heat, you need to remove that increased heat at the condenser,
          IOW up the coolant flowrate to match.

          My pump is a standard sump pump it recirculates the water at 25GPM or 1250
          GPH this should do Huh??? I'm thinking of going to a 3" or maybe 4" column, As
          all my friends are drunks as well (LOL) How much output could I expect from
          that??? Thanks Harry. This shit is new to me I've always been potstill man we
          never had a thermometer in one I don't think till I was about 16 or 18 years
          old.I'm from the mountains of North Carolina all we knew was corn liquor and now
          I'm trying to learn some new stuff to pass on to my grand kids. I really
          appreciate all you do to help, The internet is a graet thing since I've finally
          learned how to use it. Many thanks Harry.

          Suitcase

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, suitcase1499@a... wrote:
            > My pump is a standard sump pump it recirculates the water at 25GPM
            or 1250
            > GPH this should do Huh???

            I'm thinking of going to a 3" or maybe 4" column, As
            > all my friends are drunks as well (LOL) How much output could I
            expect from
            > that???

            Thanks Harry. This shit is new to me I've always been potstill man
            we
            > never had a thermometer in one I don't think till I was about 16
            or 18 years
            > old.I'm from the mountains of North Carolina all we knew was corn
            liquor and now
            > I'm trying to learn some new stuff to pass on to my grand kids.

            go to a proper reflux outfit with condenser to match. There's loads
            about coils, offset and crossflow heads in the archives and on
            Tony's site http://homedistiller.org
            Trust me, the grandkids will appreciate it.

            I really
            > appreciate all you do to help, The internet is a graet thing since
            I've finally
            > learned how to use it. Many thanks Harry.

            column. Now you're getting into the realms of shall we say "above
            average" home distilling. ;-)
            You'll need to have a much larger surface area in the boiling wash
            for the larger volume of vapor to escape. A simple solution to that
            is to take said keg, turn it on it's SIDE, cut a hole in the side to
            match your salad bowl and big column, then put 2 or 3 burners or
            modified gaspipes under the thing. Of course you'll need to plate
            off the existing hole you've got. With a rig like that you could
            get a couple GALLONS per hour, but it's no longer a hobby thing, is
            it? :^)

          • suitcase1499@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
              In a message dated 1/2/2005 12:14:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              gnikomson2000@... writes:

              go to a proper reflux outfit with condenser to match. There's loads
              about coils, offset and crossflow heads in the archives and on
              Tony's site http://homedistiller.org
              Trust me, the grandkids will appreciate it

              Do you mean like a Nixon Stone or something like Alex makes so as the vapor
              doesn't flow through the condensor , just the coolant and the vapor goes to it
              condeses and falls back down ??? As I said I'm just a dumbass country boy...
              Thanks Again Harry I really apreciate all your help. Excuse my spelling it's
              12:30 am here 1/2/05 I'm about half lit. : ) What time is it there.

              Suitcase