Re: Trial Run on Reflx Column, Questions & Happy New Year To All

  • hwykicker
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2005
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "suitcase1498" <suitcase1499@a...>
      wrote:
      Hi,
      This is my first time on a chat group, so please beer with me.
      It sounds like you rig is working properly. So if you want to
      increase production you will need to increase the size of your still
      head. That is the part from the connection on the keg and up.
      I'll tell you about my rig.
      A big old propane turkey fryer for heat. A 30 L. stainless keg for a
      boiler. 2" copper DWV pipe 1.2 m. long for the reflux column, filled
      with SS scrubbies and 2 - 1/2" copper cross flow cooling pipes (very
      important). The top of the column T's off to the condenser - 1"
      copper pipe inside a 2" copper jacket. The top of the column is
      capped and has a digital thermometer (very important).
      The operation - I brew up a 25 L. batch of sugar wash using Turbo 48
      Yeast and 8 kg. Sugar. Pour this into the boiler with 1/2 cup of
      pickling salt, set the cooker to MAX!! Connect the cold water in/out.
      Set up the collection units (4 L. glass pickle jars). It takes about
      50 min. to get a head of steam. Then I pop on the cap, blow through a
      shot glass of 90%, toss it out. Then into full production. The head
      temp. should be between 78 and 83 deg. C. I get 4 L. of 90% in 1.5
      hours the about another 1 L. in the next hour. Once you can't keep
      the head temp. below 86 deg. C. time to pack it in. I got all my info
      from http://homedistiller.org/
      After cutting and polishing (carbon filtering) I get between 12 and
      16 750 ml. bottles of very good vodka. Good enough for Martini's!
      Well my beer is done, hpoe this helps.
      Black.