Re: Question About Packing a Column

  • rodmacd2000
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 28, 2004
      Here is how to pack a column with either S/S or copper pot scrubbers.
      I can't take credit for this - the advice comes from Dr. John Stone
      in instructions which came with his apparently no longer available
      glass still.

      Pot scrubbers are commonly sold in a package of three fairly large
      scrubbers. This is exactly the correct amount to pack a column 1.5"
      in diameter and 30" long.

      Gently tease each scrubber along the natural way it is woven into a
      long oval which can then be cut into three equal size pieces (you now
      have nine "mini" pot scrubbers). Some advice - don't use your wife's
      good sewing scissors to do this.

      Now gently stretch each of these nine pieces into an oval three
      inches long and soak them in a gentle soap solution. Insert them into
      your column using a broom handle to *gently" pack them together. The
      nine pieces will be exactly right for a 30" column.

      Thoroughly flush your column with warm water to remove any trace of
      soap before peforming a distillation (duh!).

      Hope this helps.

      Rod

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "suitcase1498" <suitcase1499@a...>