Boil water for sugar wash?

  • pure95percent
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 24, 2004
      Happy Holidays!
      Got a question. I am about to make a sugar wash using Turbo Pure. On
      the instructions they say to melt the sugar in boiling water then top
      off with additional water to 25L. Does this additional water need to
      be boiled also? I am reading posts some saying yes others not saying
      either way.

      I have a reverse osmosis filtration system for water so I will be
      adding RO water so there should be no chlorine in it.

      This is the quietest I have seen this board in weeks! Either everyone
      is busy shopping or drinking your creations!

      Thanks in advance,
      Roderick
    • Neil
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 24, 2004
        Roderick,

        I don't boil and have had no problem. I also use the Turbo Pure 48.
        Just go along with everthing on the packet, you can't go wrong!

        Cheers,
        Neil

        > Happy Holidays!
        > Got a question. I am about to make a sugar wash using Turbo Pure.
        On
        > the instructions they say to melt the sugar in boiling water then
        top
        > off with additional water to 25L. Does this additional water need
        > be boiled also? I am reading posts some saying yes others not
        saying
        > either way.
      • dean
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 24, 2004
          If its filtered it should be ok the problem with boiling water is this
          removes allot of the waters oxygen content which doesn't matter if your
          built like HeMan or using an oxygen pump personally I would be using
          cool water this will help to bring the water/sugar mix down to the yeast
          pitching temperature.

          HO! HO! HO!
          Dean.

          pure95percent wrote:

          >Happy Holidays!
          >Got a question. I am about to make a sugar wash using Turbo Pure. On
          >the instructions they say to melt the sugar in boiling water then top
          >off with additional water to 25L. Does this additional water need to
          >be boiled also? I am reading posts some saying yes others not saying
          >either way.
          >
          >I have a reverse osmosis filtration system for water so I will be
          >adding RO water so there should be no chlorine in it.
          >
          >This is the quietest I have seen this board in weeks! Either everyone
          >is busy shopping or drinking your creations!
          >
          >Thanks in advance,
          >Roderick

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Levi Langershank
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 24, 2004
            Boiling the water isnt necessary,even the water used to dissolve the
            sugar...a few minutes at 'steaming' temp is sufficient....I have boiled the
            sugar-water in the past and have seen no advantage to it...also,be sure to
            aereate the wash thoroughly before adding the yeast...JMPO...good luck...:>)

            >From: "pure95percent" <pure95percent@...>

            >Subject: [Distillers] Boil water for sugar wash?
            >Happy Holidays!
            >Got a question. I am about to make a sugar wash using Turbo Pure. On
            >the instructions they say to melt the sugar in boiling water >Roderick

          • Dave Lorimer
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 24, 2004
              HI,
              Use 2 or 3 Gal of boiling water to dissolve the sugar first, then add the
              balance of the water and get the wash to the proper temp before you mix
              in the turbo yeast.

              The boiling water is to melt the sugar , not to clean the water

              The label on the turbo yeast will tell you the correct temp to add the yeast.

              Merry Christmas

              pure95percent <pure95percent@...> wrote:

              Happy Holidays!
              Got a question. I am about to make a sugar wash using Turbo Pure. On
              the instructions they say to melt the sugar in boiling water then top
              off with additional water to 25L. Does this additional water need to
              be boiled also? I am reading posts some saying yes others not saying
              either way.

              I have a reverse osmosis filtration system for water so I will be
              adding RO water so there should be no chlorine in it.

              This is the quietest I have seen this board in weeks! Either everyone
              is busy shopping or drinking your creations!

              Thanks in advance,
              Roderick

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              David Lorimer
              bbmdave@...
              bbmdave@...

              dlorimer@...

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 24, 2004
                In a message dated 12/24/2004 7:30:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                pure95percent@... writes:

                Happy Holidays!
                Got a question. I am about to make a sugar wash using Turbo Pure. On
                the instructions they say to melt the sugar in boiling water then top
                off with additional water to 25L. Does this additional water need to
                be boiled also? I am reading posts some saying yes others not saying
                either way.

                I have a reverse osmosis filtration system for water so I will be
                adding RO water so there should be no chlorine in it.

                This is the quietest I have seen this board in weeks! Either everyone
                is busy shopping or drinking your creations!

                Thanks in advance,
                Roderick

                I use cool tap water to top off mine and I'm on city water with cholrine in
                it and mine has always done fine. (Just my experience)

                Suitcase

              • Mark
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 24, 2004
                  I'd guess that RO water is better than boiled water. I doubt that
                  you would get any benefit from boiling RO water.

                  I use all soft water. I boil ALL the water that goes into the
                  fermenter. That was a requirement when I made homebrew beer, and I
                  figure if boiled water is good for beer then it's good for vodka.

                  I use distilled water to cut 94%abv to drinking strength.

                  Mark

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pure95percent"
                  <pure95percent@y...> wrote:

                  > Happy Holidays!
                  > Got a question. I am about to make a sugar wash using Turbo Pure.
                  On
                  > the instructions they say to melt the sugar in boiling water then
                  top
                  > off with additional water to 25L. Does this additional water need
                  > be boiled also? I am reading posts some saying yes others not
                  saying
                  > either way.
                  >
                  > I have a reverse osmosis filtration system for water so I will be
                  > adding RO water so there should be no chlorine in it.
                  >
                  > This is the quietest I have seen this board in weeks! Either
                  everyone
                  > is busy shopping or drinking your creations!
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance,
                  > Roderick
                • pfcslr
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 24, 2004
                    One quick reminder, boiling removes oxygen from your water. So if
                    boiling any or all water please aireate, your yeasties will reward
                    your thoughtfulness!! : >

                    yours in spirit(s),
                    pfcslr

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markgofast@h...> wrote:

                    > I'd guess that RO water is better than boiled water. I doubt that
                    > you would get any benefit from boiling RO water.
                    >
                    > I use all soft water. I boil ALL the water that goes into the
                    > fermenter. That was a requirement when I made homebrew beer, and
                    > figure if boiled water is good for beer then it's good for vodka.
                    >
                    > I use distilled water to cut 94%abv to drinking strength.
                    >
                    > Mark
                    >

                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pure95percent"
                    > <pure95percent@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Happy Holidays!
                    > > Got a question. I am about to make a sugar wash using Turbo
                    Pure.
                    > On
                    > > the instructions they say to melt the sugar in boiling water
                    then
                    > top
                    > > off with additional water to 25L. Does this additional water
                    need
                    > > be boiled also? I am reading posts some saying yes others not
                    > saying
                    > > either way.
                    > >
                    > > I have a reverse osmosis filtration system for water so I will
                    be
                    > > adding RO water so there should be no chlorine in it.
                    > >
                    > > This is the quietest I have seen this board in weeks! Either
                    > everyone
                    > > is busy shopping or drinking your creations!
                    > >
                    > > Thanks in advance,
                    > > Roderick
                  • Mark
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 25, 2004
                      good point. I run an aquarium stone for 3 hours in the 16gal
                      fermenter.

                      Maybe it's time for me to give up the beermaking habits of boiling
                      all of the water. Using tap water would sure cut down on the work
                      required. and the time required. and the propane required. and
                      the back muscles required to lug the ..... oh well, you get the
                      point.

                      From prior posts, I recall that BOKAKOB doesn't boil sugar wash.
                      Neither does Nixon. maybe this would be a good POLL question.

                      Mark

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pfcslr" <pfcslr@y...> wrote:

                      > One quick reminder, boiling removes oxygen from your water. So if
                      > boiling any or all water please aireate, your yeasties will reward
                      > your thoughtfulness!! : >
                      >
                      > yours in spirit(s),
                      > pfcslr
                      >

                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markgofast@h...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I'd guess that RO water is better than boiled water. I doubt
                      that
                      > > you would get any benefit from boiling RO water.
                      > >
                      > > I use all soft water. I boil ALL the water that goes into the
                      > > fermenter. That was a requirement when I made homebrew beer,
                      and
                      > > figure if boiled water is good for beer then it's good for vodka.
                      > >
                      > > I use distilled water to cut 94%abv to drinking strength.
                      > >
                      > > Mark
                      > >

                      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pure95percent"
                      > > <pure95percent@y...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Happy Holidays!
                      > > > Got a question. I am about to make a sugar wash using Turbo
                      > Pure.
                      > > On
                      > > > the instructions they say to melt the sugar in boiling water
                      > then
                      > > top
                      > > > off with additional water to 25L. Does this additional water
                      > need
                      > > > be boiled also? I am reading posts some saying yes others not
                      > > saying
                      > > > either way.
                      > > >
                      > > > I have a reverse osmosis filtration system for water so I will
                      > be
                      > > > adding RO water so there should be no chlorine in it.
                      > > >
                      > > > This is the quietest I have seen this board in weeks! Either
                      > > everyone
                      > > > is busy shopping or drinking your creations!
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks in advance,
                      > > > Roderick
                    • thephantom207
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 25, 2004
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markgofast@h...> wrote:

                        Just a thought. I read somewhere (might even have been in home
                        distiller) that it helped to boil the sugar and enough water to
                        disolve it for 15 minutes, particularly if you are using beet sugar
                        rather than cane sugar, because the boiling changes the molecular
                        structure so that it was easier for the yeast to utilize it. Whew,
                        long sentence. I am somewhat new to distilling but have done the
                        boiling for 15 minutes regularly and haven't had any yeast problems
                        to date. I haven't read anything that addresses boiling the rest of
                        the wash water as long as it isn't clorinated which you can get rid
                        of by letting the water sit overnight uncovered.

                        Phantom

                        > good point. I run an aquarium stone for 3 hours in the 16gal
                        > fermenter.
                        >
                        > Maybe it's time for me to give up the beermaking habits of boiling
                        > all of the water. Using tap water would sure cut down on the work
                        > required. and the time required. and the propane required. and
                        > the back muscles required to lug the ..... oh well, you get the
                        > point.
                        >
                        > From prior posts, I recall that BOKAKOB doesn't boil sugar wash.
                        > Neither does Nixon. maybe this would be a good POLL question.
                        >
                        > Mark
                        >

                        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pfcslr" <pfcslr@y...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > One quick reminder, boiling removes oxygen from your water. So
                        if
                        > > boiling any or all water please aireate, your yeasties will
                        reward
                        > > your thoughtfulness!! : >
                        > >
                        > > yours in spirit(s),
                        > > pfcslr
                        > >

                        > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markgofast@h...>
                        wrote:

                        > > > I'd guess that RO water is better than boiled water. I doubt
                        > that
                        > > > you would get any benefit from boiling RO water.
                        > > >
                        > > > I use all soft water. I boil ALL the water that goes into the
                        > > > fermenter. That was a requirement when I made homebrew beer,
                        > and
                        > > > figure if boiled water is good for beer then it's good for
                        vodka.

                        > > > I use distilled water to cut 94%abv to drinking strength.
                        > > >
                        > > > Mark
                        > > >

                        > > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pure95percent"

                        > > Pure.
                        > > > On
                        > > then
                        > > > top
                        > > need
                        > > > saying

                        > > be

                        > > > everyone

                      • Levi Langershank
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 25, 2004
                          I have never used beet sugar so I cant comment on that...I have fermented
                          many,many cane-sugar-turbos and have tried actually boiling the sugar a few
                          times....as far as I could determine,it made no difference what-so-ever in
                          the outcome....your results may vary....:>)