immersion heater advice

  • ken hawkyard-gibson
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4 10:36 AM
      Hi all, I am just completing a stainless steel still
      based on the one in Ola Normans book
      (www.partyman.se). My boiler is of 28Ltrs capacity, I
      have installed a 21/4 BSP flange into it, this will
      take a 11inch immersion heater. The problem is the
      only immersion heater I can get off the shelf in the
      UK is rated at 3Kw 240V and will be far too powerful.
      Has anyone any ideas?
      Regards Ken
      http://im.yahoo.com
    • DAVID REID
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4 10:44 AM
        Ken,
        Are you sure your BSP flange is 2 1/4" or is this a typographical
        error on your part? Correct size for the UK should be 1 1/4" BSP I believe.
        (It certainly is for NZ). As previously suggested I suggest you use an
        independently switched 3kw element for the initial booster heater, and a
        1200 - 1500 watt element for the main element. Depending on column size
        (diam, and height) and insulation of column and reboiler this element could
        even be as low as 1kw for this size. If you cannot get less than a 3kw one
        off the shelf I suggest you use a kitchen kettle element although this will
        have to be fitted from the inside which means you will need access.
        (Advisable as you will need to clean the boiler out properly from time to
        time anyway). If doing this I suggest you replace the normal rubber washer
        between the element and the wall with a teflon one.
        The answer here like most problems is to think laterally and come up with a
        better alternative solution. Also as Telecom here says in relation to use of
        the Yellow Pages "Let Your Fingers Do The Walking". From my time in the UK I
        doubt that elements less than 3kw are not available. You just havnt asked
        the right people. There are also undoubtedly quite a number of independent
        manufacturers who will custom make you an element as well. Hope this helps.
        If you get stuck send me an email and I will advise further.
        Best regards, David Reid nzag@...

        >Hi all, I am just completing a stainless steel still
        >based on the one in Ola Normans book
        >(www.partyman.se). My boiler is of 28Ltrs capacity, I
        >have installed a 21/4 BSP flange into it, this will
        >take a 11inch immersion heater. The problem is the
        >only immersion heater I can get off the shelf in the
        >UK is rated at 3Kw 240V and will be far too powerful.
        >Has anyone any ideas?
        >Regards Ken
        >http://im.yahoo.com

        >Valentine's Day Shopping Made Simple. Click Here!

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4 3:24 PM
          Hi all, I am just completing a stainless steel still
          based on the one in Ola Normans book
          (www.partyman.se). My boiler is of 28Ltrs capacity, I
          have installed a 21/4 BSP flange into it, this will
          take a 11inch immersion heater. The problem is the
          only immersion heater I can get off the shelf in the
          UK is rated at 3Kw 240V and will be far too powerful.
          Has anyone any ideas?
          Regards Ken

          Hi Ken
          First of all some data to bear in mind:
          Resistance of your 3000w element is 19.2 ohm (at heat)
          Mean current is 12.5 amp
          Peak current is 17.7 amp
          Now get yourself a power diode rated at 600v and 60 amp (or thereabouts -
          look in your Maplin catalogue. Use two or more in parallel if you cant get
          that current rating, bearing in mind the peak current it has to handle,
          allowing a comfortable margin of at least x3 max current and at least x2
          voltage.
          Shove it on a good heat sink and wire it in series with a 10 amp fuse (your
          UK plug will do)and the element.
          Wire in a switch across the diode - when closed you will get 3000w, and when
          open you will get 1500w
          To take it further, you might consider load shedding by inserting a matrix
          of ceramic resistors in series with the element. That way you make toast at
          the same time!
          Finally - having said all that, the average Brit kettle uses a either a 1.5
          or 2kW element. You can't get one???

          All the best,
          Mike