Re: [Distillers] Whisky from a Reflux Still

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2001
      On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 08:25:02AM +1200, Tony & Elle Ackland wrote:
      > I've just recieved and had a very interesting read of Ian Smileys "Making
      > pure corn whiskey - a professional guide for
      > amateur and micro distillers" from http://www.magma.ca/~smiley/main.htm. I
      > highly recommend it - probably the best book in my wee collection now.

      I too highly recommend this book. I was impressed by how concise and
      well-written it is, a definite step above the quality of your average
      semi-underground information source :-)

      Yes it is interesting how Smiley uses a Nixon/Stone design to create a
      flavorful whiskey, but if we believe what Donald says on Tony's site about
      the cuts, any still can produce these sorts of liquors. Assuming of
      course, proper care is take to watch what phase comes over and when, using
      good hydrometers and tasting tests.

      Like Tony said some interesting things about Smiley's book's procedures:
      he recommends a single-stage fermentation that doesn't last much beyond 3
      days. 80 hours and you're starting to push it. Also, since he uses a
      fractionating still, he does a single pass. No double distillations to
      worry about. He recommends a flaked grain, which disperses better in the
      mash and doesn't require as much work to achieve starch conversion. Since
      he is writing about a traditional North American corn whiskey, he writes
      that the purists will eschew aging this spirit, but concedes that a few
      weeks of rest will improve the flavor.

      It is his book that I'm using as my guide to my forays into corn whiskeys
      and hopefully bourbons and other similar spirits. I'll share my trials
      and tribulations as soon as I can.
      -matt

      Matthew @ psibercom
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
        >Ian Smileys "Making pure corn whiskey - a professional guide for
        >amateur and micro distillers" from http://www.magma.ca/~smiley/main.htm

        Sorry - there was a stray period "." at the end of that address - try it now.

        Tony