Pump Recommendations

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 15, 2004
      My first two batches have been produced in my reflux still which has a 52
      inch height from the top of the boiler to the condenser. I've been using
      total loss water and don't like wasting all that water.
      I borrowed a submersible pond pump (GEN X 4100) that theoretically should
      have produced plenty of flow, but, it did not. To try and increase it I
      raised the height of my reservoir to table height - still not enough.
      Can some of you folks that use a recirculation system give me a
      recommendation on a pump please. The one I tried went from a garden hose
      type diameter to the 1/4 inch opening of the condenser coil.
      Many thanks

      Derek Hamlet
      Victoria, B.C.
    • pcman
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 15, 2004
        a pond pump should work but there rated to a certain flow at a certain height so some will lift 1m at litre per min whereas some will lift 1m at 300ml per min
        im planing the same and have friends that work in landscaping so i can get a good powerfull pump and a flow control valve to set it at the perfect flow rate

        best of luck

        My first two batches have been produced in my reflux still which has a 52
        inch height from the top of the boiler to the condenser. I've been using
        total loss water and don't like wasting all that water.
        I borrowed a submersible pond pump (GEN X 4100) that theoretically should
        have produced plenty of flow, but, it did not. To try and increase it I
        raised the height of my reservoir to table height - still not enough.
        Can some of you folks that use a recirculation system give me a
        recommendation on a pump please. The one I tried went from a garden hose
        type diameter to the 1/4 inch opening of the condenser coil.
        Many thanks

        Derek Hamlet
        Victoria, B.C.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Andrew Forsberg
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 15, 2004
          On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 17:45 -0800, Derek Hamlet wrote:
          <snip>
          > Can some of you folks that use a recirculation system give me a
          > recommendation on a pump please. The one I tried went from a garden hose
          > type diameter to the 1/4 inch opening of the condenser coil.
          > Many thanks

          Hey Derek,

          What I recommend you try is to give the pump a head start by leaving the
          output hose from your condenser on the ground (in a bucket if you're
          inside, of course. If it still doesn't fire, then try sucking on the end
          to help start it syphoning water around. Once the hose is full of water
          it will continue to flow *far* easier than if you try to cold start a
          hose, and condenser, of air.

          Every time I disassemble the still to mess about with it I have to go
          through this process. It was a lot worse when I used a reflux coil
          condenser, but the same applies (for me) with a shotgun. The pump I use
          is rated to 1500 litres per hour. That doesn't take into account the
          length of hose it has to push through, nor the 1.8m of height it has to
          push the water. Again, syphoning takes a lot of the load off the pump.

          I don't personally suck on the tube, but a few hard flicks of the output
          hose does the trick.

          Cheers,
          Andrew
        • ajdonnison
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 15, 2004
            For some time I have had a water reticulation system in the garden
            running off of a rainwater tank using a ShurFlo 12 volt pressure pump
            off of a solar panel. I use this with a return line back to the top
            of the tank. No water wasted, no power wasted. Obviously not the
            answer for everyone.

            The pump is designed for camping vans and small yachts and has 13mm
            (1/2") inlet and outlet so it works on most garden hoses. It also
            automatically cuts out once it reaches a certain pressure, so it makes
            it really easy to put an in-line tap for regulating the flow.

            I tried a submersible but it just wasn't up to the task. I couldn't
            get a decent enough flow rate out of it.

            Adam

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@s...> wrote:
            > My first two batches have been produced in my reflux still which has
            a 52
            > inch height from the top of the boiler to the condenser. I've been
            using
            > total loss water and don't like wasting all that water.
            > I borrowed a submersible pond pump (GEN X 4100) that theoretically
            should
            > have produced plenty of flow, but, it did not. To try and increase
            it I
            > raised the height of my reservoir to table height - still not enough.
            > Can some of you folks that use a recirculation system give me a
            > recommendation on a pump please. The one I tried went from a garden
            hose
            > type diameter to the 1/4 inch opening of the condenser coil.
            > Many thanks
            >
            > Derek Hamlet
            > Victoria, B.C.
          • rodmacd2000
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 16, 2004
              Hydroponics water pumps are ideal for circulating condenser water
              (also useful as wash circulation pumps). Since you're from BC
              checkout the pumps at http://www.progressive-growth.com/sitemap.php

              A further bonus (which you'll appreciate coming from BC) is that if
              you take up hydroponic gardening of special plants you won't have to
              purchase another hydroponic water pump.

              Rod

              wrote:
              > My first two batches have been produced in my reflux still which
              has a 52
              > inch height from the top of the boiler to the condenser. I've been
              using
              > total loss water and don't like wasting all that water.
              > I borrowed a submersible pond pump (GEN X 4100) that theoretically
              should
              > have produced plenty of flow, but, it did not. To try and increase
              it I
              > raised the height of my reservoir to table height - still not
              enough.
              > Can some of you folks that use a recirculation system give me a
              > recommendation on a pump please. The one I tried went from a
              garden hose
              > type diameter to the 1/4 inch opening of the condenser coil.
              > Many thanks
              >
              > Derek Hamlet
              > Victoria, B.C.
            • Derek Hamlet
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 16, 2004
                BC being what it is I could indeed double up or triple up on my pump usage.
                Then instead of getting a minor slap on the wrists I could end up meeting
                all kinds of new friends on my all expenses paid vacation at the state's
                expense.
                I think I'll stick to distilling for now.
                At 11:09 AM 16/12/2004, you wrote:
                >rmacdoug@...

                Derek Hamlet
                Victoria, B.C.
              • l0a4n5g3e
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 16, 2004
                  Hallo Derek,

                  I think your problem is, that your pump is designed to supply a huge
                  (for its power intake) amount of flow and can cope with getting that
                  flow from a level a couple of meters below the pump intake.
                  However that particular type of pump can't cope with an almost
                  closed exit. The pressure build up is getting too much and the flow
                  stops entirely or close to that.
                  For recirculation duties you need a different type of pump for
                  instance one used in central heating systems. At lest one that can
                  supply a rather high outlet pressure. Mind you, the water supply
                  system supplies your home also with a considerable pressure (a
                  couple of Bars), that is why, when you spring a tiny leak, so much
                  water is coming out!

                  Regards,
                  Lange.

                  wrote:
                  > My first two batches have been produced in my reflux still which
                  has a 52
                  > inch height from the top of the boiler to the condenser. I've
                  been using
                  > total loss water and don't like wasting all that water.
                  > I borrowed a submersible pond pump (GEN X 4100) that theoretically
                  should
                  > have produced plenty of flow, but, it did not. To try and
                  increase it I
                  > raised the height of my reservoir to table height - still not
                  enough.
                  > Can some of you folks that use a recirculation system give me a
                  > recommendation on a pump please. The one I tried went from a
                  garden hose
                  > type diameter to the 1/4 inch opening of the condenser coil.
                  > Many thanks
                  >
                  > Derek Hamlet
                  > Victoria, B.C.
                • Derek Hamlet
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 16, 2004
                    Yes, I can see the problem.
                    The total water loss system just bugs me.
                    I will come up with an answer.
                    I think my problem is that I've been talking to people who know lots about
                    thing like aquarium pumps, but, cannot translate to the challenge I present
                    them. I think I'll go off to a industrial pump repair place and talk to
                    someone there.
                    I'm sure there is an inexpensive solution out there.

                    At 04:45 PM 16/12/2004, you wrote:

                    >Hallo Derek,
                    >
                    >I think your problem is, that your pump is designed to supply a huge
                    >(for its power intake) amount of flow and can cope with getting that
                    >flow from a level a couple of meters below the pump intake.
                    >However that particular type of pump can't cope with an almost
                    >closed exit. The pressure build up is getting too much and the flow
                    >stops entirely or close to that.
                    >For recirculation duties you need a different type of pump for
                    >instance one used in central heating systems. At lest one that can
                    >supply a rather high outlet pressure. Mind you, the water supply
                    >system supplies your home also with a considerable pressure (a
                    >couple of Bars), that is why, when you spring a tiny leak, so much
                    >water is coming out!
                    >
                    >Regards,
                    >Lange.
                    >

                    >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@s...>
                    >wrote:
                    > > My first two batches have been produced in my reflux still which
                    >has a 52
                    > > inch height from the top of the boiler to the condenser. I've
                    >been using
                    > > total loss water and don't like wasting all that water.
                    > > I borrowed a submersible pond pump (GEN X 4100) that theoretically
                    >should
                    > > have produced plenty of flow, but, it did not. To try and
                    >increase it I
                    > > raised the height of my reservoir to table height - still not
                    >enough.
                    > > Can some of you folks that use a recirculation system give me a
                    > > recommendation on a pump please. The one I tried went from a
                    >garden hose
                    > > type diameter to the 1/4 inch opening of the condenser coil.
                    > > Many thanks
                    > >
                    > > Derek Hamlet
                    > > Victoria, B.C.

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Derek Hamlet
                    Victoria, B.C.
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 16, 2004
                      wrote:
                      > Yes, I can see the problem.
                      > The total water loss system just bugs me.
                      > I will come up with an answer.
                      > I think my problem is that I've been talking to people who know
                      lots about
                      > thing like aquarium pumps, but, cannot translate to the challenge
                      I present
                      > them. I think I'll go off to a industrial pump repair place and
                      talk to
                      > someone there.
                      > I'm sure there is an inexpensive solution out there.

                      Hi Derek,
                      This was my inexpensive solution. Note the make/model and
                      availability website at the bottom of the pic. The pump body in the
                      pic is an actual photo resized for the drawing...
                      http://www.geocities.com/gnikomson2000/recycled_water.jpg

                    • l0a4n5g3e
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 18, 2004
                        Hallo Derek,
                        It's me again, as Harry also said in msg. 26080, you need a pump that
                        can supply pressure, or you should install shotkey condensors.

                        The solution with the dish- or clothes washer pump only works with
                        an "open" system as f.i. shown in the car radiator setup in msg.
                        26003. Both the radiator and the Liebig have low resistances to the
                        waterflow.
                        Same counts for the solar panel system of message 26048.

                        I think the best chance to succeed with a pump is in the
                        boating/yachting- and caravaning world as they use Shureflo pumps
                        with an built-in hydrostat, capable of supplying water to a
                        pressurised inboard water distribution system.
                        You only have to watch the max. pump output vs. the water consumption
                        of your condensor.
                        Only I think that there is a price tag connected to those systems....

                        So these were my twopenn'orth as a "sparky".....

                        Good luck,

                        Lange/Arie
                        (You got my private address already)

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 18, 2004
                          I agree. I don't think any inexpensive method will give me the pressure
                          that will effectively drive adequate water through a single coiled
                          condenser pipe. There's just too much friction. Clearly I need a solution
                          that does not require too much lift for the pump and multiple 1/4" tubes
                          for the water to travel through. With all the input here, I'm sure the
                          right solution is just around the corner. In the meantime it's time to
                          start a mollasses wash so it'll be all ready when I finish a new condenser
                          setup.
                          At 12:45 PM 18/12/2004, you wrote:

                          >Hallo Derek,
                          >It's me again, as Harry also said in msg. 26080, you need a pump that
                          >can supply pressure, or you should install shotkey condensors.
                          >
                          >The solution with the dish- or clothes washer pump only works with
                          >an "open" system as f.i. shown in the car radiator setup in msg.
                          >26003. Both the radiator and the Liebig have low resistances to the
                          >waterflow.
                          >Same counts for the solar panel system of message 26048.
                          >
                          >I think the best chance to succeed with a pump is in the
                          >boating/yachting- and caravaning world as they use Shureflo pumps
                          >with an built-in hydrostat, capable of supplying water to a
                          >pressurised inboard water distribution system.
                          >You only have to watch the max. pump output vs. the water consumption
                          >of your condensor.
                          >Only I think that there is a price tag connected to those systems....
                          >
                          >So these were my twopenn'orth as a "sparky".....
                          >
                          >Good luck,
                          >
                          >Lange/Arie
                          >(You got my private address already)
                          >
                          >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@s...>
                          >wrote:
                          > > Yes, I can see the problem.
                          > > The total water loss system just bugs me.
                          > > I will come up with an answer.
                          > > I think my problem is that I've been talking to people who know
                          >lots about
                          > > thing like aquarium pumps, but, cannot translate to the challenge I
                          >present
                          > > them. I think I'll go off to a industrial pump repair place and
                          >talk to
                          > > someone there.
                          > > I'm sure there is an inexpensive solution out there.

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Derek Hamlet
                          Victoria, B.C.
                        • Phil
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 18, 2004
                            Greetings Derek

                            have you thought about looking into submersable Fountain Pumps??

                            $A00.02 worth.....

                            Phil
                            from DownUnder
                            I agree. I don't think any inexpensive method will give me the pressure
                            that will effectively drive adequate water through a single coiled
                            condenser pipe. There's just too much friction. Clearly I need a solution
                            that does not require too much lift for the pump and multiple 1/4" tubes
                            for the water to travel through. With all the input here, I'm sure the
                            right solution is just around the corner. In the meantime it's time to
                            start a mollasses wash so it'll be all ready when I finish a new condenser
                            setup.
                            At 12:45 PM 18/12/2004, you wrote:

                            >Hallo Derek,
                            >It's me again, as Harry also said in msg. 26080, you need a pump that
                            >can supply pressure, or you should install shotkey condensors.
                            >
                            >The solution with the dish- or clothes washer pump only works with
                            >an "open" system as f.i. shown in the car radiator setup in msg.
                            >26003. Both the radiator and the Liebig have low resistances to the
                            >waterflow.
                            >Same counts for the solar panel system of message 26048.
                            >
                            >I think the best chance to succeed with a pump is in the
                            >boating/yachting- and caravaning world as they use Shureflo pumps
                            >with an built-in hydrostat, capable of supplying water to a
                            >pressurised inboard water distribution system.
                            >You only have to watch the max. pump output vs. the water consumption
                            >of your condensor.
                            >Only I think that there is a price tag connected to those systems....
                            >
                            >So these were my twopenn'orth as a "sparky".....
                            >
                            >Good luck,
                            >
                            >Lange/Arie
                            >(You got my private address already)
                            >
                            >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@s...>
                            >wrote:
                            > > Yes, I can see the problem.
                            > > The total water loss system just bugs me.
                            > > I will come up with an answer.
                            > > I think my problem is that I've been talking to people who know
                            >lots about
                            > > thing like aquarium pumps, but, cannot translate to the challenge I
                            >present
                            > > them. I think I'll go off to a industrial pump repair place and
                            >talk to
                            > > someone there.
                            > > I'm sure there is an inexpensive solution out there.

                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            Derek Hamlet
                            Victoria, B.C.

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          • Derek Hamlet
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 18, 2004
                              Yes, in fact I have a smallish submersible pond pump that supposed pumps
                              out over a thousand gallons an hour. Fact is, it's 1/2" outlet cannot
                              develop enough pressure to overcome the friction in a 1/4" copper winding
                              which is my condenser. I'm now thoroughly convinced that some kind of
                              condenser that works on a cross flow is the only answer. it presents a
                              viable surface area, but, the collant travels down multiple pathways
                              insteat of around and around a single one; at least that is Harry's
                              theory. There is a jpg that outlines his system in the files section.

                              Derek Hamlet
                              Victoria, B.C.
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 18, 2004
                                wrote:
                                > Yes, in fact I have a smallish submersible pond pump that supposed
                                pumps
                                > out over a thousand gallons an hour. Fact is, it's 1/2" outlet
                                cannot
                                > develop enough pressure to overcome the friction in a 1/4" copper
                                winding
                                > which is my condenser. I'm now thoroughly convinced that some
                                kind of
                                > condenser that works on a cross flow is the only answer. it
                                presents a
                                > viable surface area, but, the collant travels down multiple
                                pathways
                                > insteat of around and around a single one; at least that is
                                Harry's
                                > theory. There is a jpg that outlines his system in the files
                                section.

                                There's also pics of one that Kim built in new_distillers/photos
                                Look for the "no coil condenser" folder.

                              • jimpuchai
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 18, 2004
                                  Hello all,
                                  A quick Google for "peristaltic pump" brings up 47000 hits. This type
                                  of pump, previously only found in medical applications, is available
                                  in a range of flows that fully cover the distillers needs. They can
                                  easily attain the pressure/flow required for 1/4" tube and are fully
                                  self priming - even at heads of a metre or more. The more expensive
                                  models will allow precise flow rate adjustment by motor speed control.

                                  These pumps are now widely used in industry, and prices are well
                                  below the stratospheric levels set for medical equipment. In
                                  addition, you should be able to find used bargains on Ebay etc.

                                  For the mechanically challenged, this may be a simpler solution than
                                  Harry's (et al) excellent multi-pipe cross-flow condenser.

                                  Jim Puchai.
                                • dearknarl
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 31, 2005
                                    http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au

                                    There's a pump there for AU$45 that runs my ~4mx6mm single coil
                                    condensor to dissipate around 1380W of heat. I recirculate through an
                                    old car radiator with a couple of small fans blowing on it. I only use
                                    a laundry tub full of water for a run, and it heats my flat =)

                                    Cheers,
                                    knarl.

                                    On Date header was inserted by l-daemon, 46 <46> wrote:
                                    >  I agree.  I don't think any inexpensive method will give me the pressure that will effectively drive adequate water through a single coiled condenser pipe.  There's just too much friction.  Clearly I need a solution that does not require too much lift for the pump and multiple 1/4" tubes for the water to travel through.   With all the input here, I'm sure the right solution is just around the corner.  In the meantime it's time to start a mollasses wash so it'll be all ready when I finish a new condenser setup.<br>
                                    > At 12:45 PM 18/12/2004, you wrote:<br><br>
                                    > It's me again, as Harry also said in msg. 26080, you need a pump that <br>
                                    > can supply pressure, or you should install shotkey condensors.<br>
                                    > The solution with the dish- or clothes washer pump only works with <br>
                                    > an "open" system as f.i. shown in the car radiator setup in msg. <br>
                                    > 26003. Both the radiator and the Liebig have low resistances to the <br>
                                    > waterflow. <br>
                                    > Same counts for the solar panel system of message 26048.<br><br>
                                    > I think the best chance to succeed with a pump is in the <br>
                                    > boating/yachting- and caravaning world as they use Shureflo pumps <br>
                                    > with an built-in hydrostat, capable of supplying water to a <br>
                                    > pressurised inboard water distribution system. <br>
                                    > You only have to watch the max. pump output vs. the water consumption <br>
                                    > of your condensor.<br>
                                    > Only I think that there is a price tag connected to those systems....<br><br>
                                    > So these were my twopenn'orth as a "sparky".....<br><br>
                                    > Good luck,<br><br>
                                    > Lange/Arie<br>
                                    > (You got my private address already)<br><br>
                                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@s...> <br>
                                    > wrote:<br>
                                    > > Yes, I can see the problem.<br>
                                    > > The total water loss system just bugs me.<br>
                                    > > I will come up with an answer.<br>
                                    > > I think my problem is that I've been talking to people who know <br>
                                    > lots about <br>
                                    > > thing like aquarium pumps, but, cannot translate to the challenge I <br>
                                    > present <br>
                                    > > them.  I think I'll go off to a industrial pump repair place and <br>
                                    > talk to <br>
                                    > > someone there.<br>
                                    > > I'm sure there is an inexpensive solution out there.<br><br>
                                    > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> <br>
                                    > $4.98 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything.<br>
                                    > <x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
                                    > Victoria, B.C.<br>

                                    > ________________________________
                                  • Dean Thomas
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 1, 2005
                                      Or duck down to your local Jaycar electronics store and you can pick up
                                      a 12 volt camping shower $19.95.
                                      http://tinyurl.com/7nv7u
                                      while your there pick up a cigarette lighter socket $10.00. (Not realy
                                      needed but it makes things easier)
                                      http://tinyurl.com/bl6gc
                                      then go to the local irrigation store or section at your local hardware
                                      and buy an adapter that fits the thread of the fitting that the shower
                                      head screws into converting it into a 1/2 inch Bayonet? and a couple of
                                      meters of clear 1/2" hose some clamps etc.
                                      http://tinyurl.com/am9be*
                                      *I even used taps similar to those shown on the last link and although
                                      they are fiddly I manage, and once set I use my sutronics controller to
                                      reduce and increase flow.

                                      Now all you need is a car battery charger that can handle up to 5 amps
                                      to power the pump and your in business.

                                      dearknarl wrote:

                                      >http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au
                                      >
                                      >There's a pump there for AU$45 that runs my ~4mx6mm single coil
                                      >condensor to dissipate around 1380W of heat. I recirculate through an
                                      >old car radiator with a couple of small fans blowing on it. I only use
                                      >a laundry tub full of water for a run, and it heats my flat =)
                                      >
                                      >Cheers,
                                      >knarl.

                                    • brewstar71
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 12, 2005
                                        I went down to Jaycar and purchased one of these today, the pump
                                        flows 750ml per min through my 5m of 1/4" pipe with a head of 1.8m
                                        using a 6 amp battery charger. If it stands the test of time, I
                                        think it will be really good value for money.
                                        Thanks for the tip.
                                        Matt

                                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dean Thomas <deanlil@p...> wrote:
                                        > Or duck down to your local Jaycar electronics store and you can
                                        pick up
                                        > a 12 volt camping shower $19.95.
                                        > http://tinyurl.com/7nv7u
                                        > while your there pick up a cigarette lighter socket $10.00. (Not
                                        realy
                                        > needed but it makes things easier)
                                        > http://tinyurl.com/bl6gc
                                        > then go to the local irrigation store or section at your local
                                        hardware
                                        > and buy an adapter that fits the thread of the fitting that the
                                        shower
                                        > head screws into converting it into a 1/2 inch Bayonet? and a
                                        couple of
                                        > meters of clear 1/2" hose some clamps etc.
                                        > http://tinyurl.com/am9be*
                                        > *I even used taps similar to those shown on the last link and
                                        although
                                        > they are fiddly I manage, and once set I use my sutronics
                                        controller to
                                        > reduce and increase flow.
                                        >
                                        > Now all you need is a car battery charger that can handle up to 5
                                        amps
                                        > to power the pump and your in business.
                                        >
                                        > dearknarl wrote:
                                        >
                                        > >http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au
                                        > >
                                        > >There's a pump there for AU$45 that runs my ~4mx6mm single coil
                                        > >condensor to dissipate around 1380W of heat. I recirculate
                                        through an
                                        > >old car radiator with a couple of small fans blowing on it. I
                                        only use
                                        > >a laundry tub full of water for a run, and it heats my flat =)
                                        > >
                                        > >Cheers,
                                        > >knarl.

                                      • Dean Thomas
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 14, 2005
                                          Mine has lasted for five 12 hour runs so far and hasn't missed a beat,
                                          but because they are so cheap I was thinking of picking up another one
                                          to keep as a spare.

                                          Dean