Re: [Distillers] Malting question

  • Héctor A. Landaeta C.
    Message 1 of 37 , Dec 1, 2004
      On 1/12/04 2:04 AM, "Andrew Forsberg" <andrew@...> wrote:

      > Had any interesting schnapps experiments lately? Artichokes are coming
      > into season here now -- wonder how they'd convert. ;)

      Hola Andrew!
      You know, you have a thing there. Up to now that I¹ve seen graphically what
      those wonderful Ji-qu balls do have I understood fully the beauty of it.
      Those damned fungi go ahead and LIQUEFY the whole thing! Then ferment it!
      In four days! Damm!
      Have you experienced any acetobacter (stuff turns to vinegar) contamination?
      I definitively have to go pester all Chinese I know to see where I can get
      some locally. Even so Andrew I gather you should benefit from this mod to
      your procedure: Thoroughly boil the rice/wheat/malt lowering the heat once
      you introduce the grain so as to avoid scorching the bottom. Our local
      version of an energy drink is something we call ³chicha de arroz² (the
      unfermented sort) made out of rice which is no less than a watered down
      gelatinized rice wash, spiced with cinnamon, cloves and sugar. This is how
      we make it. It could take 2-3 hours, perhaps more water than what you use
      now, but without much agitation the grain simply must dissolve or at least
      re-hydrate more thoroughly than with a little shower of boiling water. I
      think those fungi don¹t need complete gelatinization or anything in the
      vicinity so the first step I pontificated on you can discard, but thorough
      hydration is a biochemical must. Perhaps this way you can cut a day,
      perhaps more on the time it¹s done.
      Remember the extract method (Obst Geist) for schnapps making? I¹ve made
      some serious trials on a lot of fruit/herbs. It¹s virtually the same thing
      to macerate the fruit in high grade alcohol for a month and then distill it
      than to ferment it with added sucrose and then distill it. There are a few
      exceptions like mangoes, pears, apples and strawberries that don¹t produce
      any extract. All of the other fruits do. Isn¹t there a famous European
      brand of artichoke liqueur called ³Cynar²? Do try it Andrew and let us
      know.
      Salud!
      --
      Héctor Landaeta
      Colonia Tovar - Venezuela.

      Message 37 of 37 , Dec 4, 2004

        > Must stop relying on memory as I appear to be losing neurons!
        > The sprouted part is called an acrospire - edosperm is the solid
        part.
        > Cannot find a verification of the content of the acrospire which I
        > think I read somewhere (?)
        > wal
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Undried malted grain is called 'green malt'.It is used in
        moonshine
        > > style spirits, but apparently the endosperm (the sprouted part)
        > > contains unpleasant compounds which might not be a problem for
        > > distillers.

        I don't think it's the composition of the acrospire (aka plumule)
        that's the issue, Wal. It's more a question of economics and yield.

        At the end of the germination period the Acrospire should have grown
        to roughly ? - ¾ the length of the corn. On no account must the
        Acrospire be allowed to grow out of the end of the corn. Such a
        condition, "bolting", results in too much of the food supply
        contained in the Endosperm having been used. This consequently
        creates a high malting loss.

        The moisture content of the grain should still be approximately 41% -
        42% at the end of the germinating period and the Diastatic Power or
        Enzyme development will be at its maximum.

        Source:
        http://www.scotchwhisky.net/manufacturing/