Re: Bakers yeast etc

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ajdonnison" <adam@s...> wrote:

      > In my research on bakers yeast (I run fermentation, beer and wine
      > courses),

      Hi Adam. Glad to see another professional who 'walks the walk' on
      board here. The collective expertise in this wee community is
      downright staggering! Be prepared for a myriad of questions re
      yeast behaviour and fermentation. There are many here searching for
      the holy grail i.e. their own single malt whisky. You may be able
      to assist re slants, hydrolysis etc. Anyway, welcome to the
      groups. :-)

    • ajdonnison
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Adam. Glad to see another professional who 'walks the walk' on
        > board here. The collective expertise in this wee community is
        > downright staggering! Be prepared for a myriad of questions re
        > yeast behaviour and fermentation. There are many here searching for
        > the holy grail i.e. their own single malt whisky. You may be able
        > to assist re slants, hydrolysis etc. Anyway, welcome to the
        > groups. :-)

        I'd put professional in quotation marks if I were you. I'm pretty new
        to distilling, but have been brewing beer, wine (grape, fruit and
        vegetable), mead and cider for many years. I regularly do cider
        making demonstrations at a local orchard, and have recently started
        running wine and beer courses at the local community house. I have
        done quite a lot of research, both theoretical and practical, so I may
        be of some assistance, but I suspect there are probably others out
        there with as much if not more knowledge.

        Adam
      • _{*L*}_
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
          Adam, in my experience bakers yeast, given about 2~3 weeks, does settle down.

          ajdonnison <adam@...> wrote:
          In my research on bakers yeast (I run fermentation, beer and wine
          courses), I've found that it works alright up to around 12% abv, and
          other than the different taste, the only problem is that it doesn't
          flocculate (collect together) and tends to remain in suspension
          causing cloudiness. Not a problem for distillers, but beer and wine
          makers only use it as a last resort.

          The tastes provided by the yeast will also depend upon the
          fermentation speed and the time left on the lees. But then again
          taste is a very personal thing and I wouldn't want to suggest to
          someone what they should or shouldn't use based on taste.

          Adam

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, suitcase1499@a... wrote:
          > I sometimes use turbo yeast but mostly use bakers yeast and i am
          right the
          > oppisite, i find the taste is better using bakers yeast maybe it's
          because of
          > the lower abv wash I really don't know. I guess everyone has
          different taste if
          > not we'd all be drinking one kind of liquor and or beer. (I like Bud
          Light
          > Lol)
          >
          > Suitcase

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Always check my current auction offerings on eBay!

          Whatever is written above is my subjective opinion
          There are no warranties of any kind whatsoever
          You've been warned, act on your own risk
          And finally, I can be wrong I must say!
          Alex (aka BOKAKOB)

        • _{*L*}_
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
            You most likely like "the taste" better because of lower congeners bakers yeast generate compared to high-power "turbos."

            suitcase1499@... wrote:I sometimes use turbo yeast but mostly use bakers yeast and i am right the
            oppisite, i find the taste is better using bakers yeast maybe it's because of
            the lower abv wash I really don't know. I guess everyone has different taste if
            not we'd all be drinking one kind of liquor and or beer. (I like Bud Light
            Lol)

            Suitcase

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Always check my current auction offerings on eBay!

            Whatever is written above is my subjective opinion
            There are no warranties of any kind whatsoever
            You've been warned, act on your own risk
            And finally, I can be wrong I must say!
            Alex (aka BOKAKOB)

          • Héctor A. Landaeta C.
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
              On 1/12/04 5:00 AM, "ajdonnison" <adam@...> wrote:

              > I'd put professional in quotation marks if I were you. I'm pretty new
              > to distilling, but have been brewing beer, wine (grape, fruit and
              > vegetable), mead and cider for many years. I regularly do cider
              > making demonstrations at a local orchard, and have recently started
              > running wine and beer courses at the local community house. I have
              > done quite a lot of research, both theoretical and practical, so I may
              > be of some assistance, but I suspect there are probably others out
              > there with as much if not more knowledge.

              Hola Adam!
              Glad to have you onboard! Another voice on the true path! What happens
              here is that folks are a bit lazy on their mash (here it¹s wash) ingredients
              and procedures. The most popular fermentable sugar source here is sucrose,
              solely and plainly. They expect to go fill a bucket of water and some table
              sugar, ferment some weeks an get Stoli or Absolut out of their stills. If
              you¹re using just table sugar you can¹t expect exciting results from humble
              but true baker¹s yeast. That¹s what all the hoopla on ³turbos² is about, at
              least here.
              Salud y bienvenido!
              --
              Héctor Landaeta
              Colonia Tovar - Venezuela.

            • Levi Langershank
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
                I agree.... its a matter of individual taste preference...my favorite
                example is Jack Daniels...heavenly to many...I consider it just below
                'dog-vomit'....:>)....(of course it depends on what the dog has been
                eating...:>)