Re: Second Run

  • Lindsay Williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
      That does seem a tad slow. I have a similar setup I think (50mm by
      1170 column) and it takes me 13 hrs at 500ml/hr. Input pwr is 824W and
      abv is 95%.

      What is your col diameter and power input? Your take-off rate is what,
      about 300ml/hr??

      Cheers,
      Lindsay.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@s...> wrote:
      > A few weeks ago I did my first run with my reflux still. The
      product was
      > very good, but, it took forever (24+ hours total) to get to the tails.
      > I think it should have been a little faster for 23 litres of 15%ABv
      wash.
      > My column is 4 feet with the condenser above that. I had the column
      more
      > or less filled with stainless scrubbers.
      > I don't want to lose too much reflux by removing scrubbers so I'm
      pondering
      > how to speed things up a little without losing too much purity.
      > My water flow was total loss and I had not much more than a trickle.
      > I have access to a pump that will greatly increase the amount of
      water flow
      > through the condenser. Will this allow me to use a little more
      power to
      > the boiler and thus increase the ability to takeoff pure product?
      >

      > Derek Hamlet
      > Victoria, B.C.
    • Levi Langershank
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
        24 hours to distill 23l of 15% isnt that un-reasonable.Speeding up the
        process will generally lower your distillate's quality.Thats just the way it
        is....JMPO....good luck....:>)