Re: Bakers yeast etc

  • ajdonnison
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
      In my research on bakers yeast (I run fermentation, beer and wine
      courses), I've found that it works alright up to around 12% abv, and
      other than the different taste, the only problem is that it doesn't
      flocculate (collect together) and tends to remain in suspension
      causing cloudiness. Not a problem for distillers, but beer and wine
      makers only use it as a last resort.

      The tastes provided by the yeast will also depend upon the
      fermentation speed and the time left on the lees. But then again
      taste is a very personal thing and I wouldn't want to suggest to
      someone what they should or shouldn't use based on taste.

      Adam

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, suitcase1499@a... wrote:
      > I sometimes use turbo yeast but mostly use bakers yeast and i am
      right the
      > oppisite, i find the taste is better using bakers yeast maybe it's
      because of
      > the lower abv wash I really don't know. I guess everyone has
      different taste if
      > not we'd all be drinking one kind of liquor and or beer. (I like Bud
      Light

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ajdonnison" <adam@s...> wrote:

        > In my research on bakers yeast (I run fermentation, beer and wine
        > courses),

        Hi Adam. Glad to see another professional who 'walks the walk' on
        board here. The collective expertise in this wee community is
        downright staggering! Be prepared for a myriad of questions re
        yeast behaviour and fermentation. There are many here searching for
        the holy grail i.e. their own single malt whisky. You may be able
        to assist re slants, hydrolysis etc. Anyway, welcome to the
        groups. :-)

      • ajdonnison
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Adam. Glad to see another professional who 'walks the walk' on
          > board here. The collective expertise in this wee community is
          > downright staggering! Be prepared for a myriad of questions re
          > yeast behaviour and fermentation. There are many here searching for
          > the holy grail i.e. their own single malt whisky. You may be able
          > to assist re slants, hydrolysis etc. Anyway, welcome to the
          > groups. :-)

          I'd put professional in quotation marks if I were you. I'm pretty new
          to distilling, but have been brewing beer, wine (grape, fruit and
          vegetable), mead and cider for many years. I regularly do cider
          making demonstrations at a local orchard, and have recently started
          running wine and beer courses at the local community house. I have
          done quite a lot of research, both theoretical and practical, so I may
          be of some assistance, but I suspect there are probably others out
          there with as much if not more knowledge.

          Adam
        • _{*L*}_
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
            Adam, in my experience bakers yeast, given about 2~3 weeks, does settle down.

            ajdonnison <adam@...> wrote:
            In my research on bakers yeast (I run fermentation, beer and wine
            courses), I've found that it works alright up to around 12% abv, and
            other than the different taste, the only problem is that it doesn't
            flocculate (collect together) and tends to remain in suspension
            causing cloudiness. Not a problem for distillers, but beer and wine
            makers only use it as a last resort.

            The tastes provided by the yeast will also depend upon the
            fermentation speed and the time left on the lees. But then again
            taste is a very personal thing and I wouldn't want to suggest to
            someone what they should or shouldn't use based on taste.

            Adam

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, suitcase1499@a... wrote:
            > I sometimes use turbo yeast but mostly use bakers yeast and i am
            right the
            > oppisite, i find the taste is better using bakers yeast maybe it's
            because of
            > the lower abv wash I really don't know. I guess everyone has
            different taste if
            > not we'd all be drinking one kind of liquor and or beer. (I like Bud
            Light
            > Lol)
            >
            > Suitcase

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Always check my current auction offerings on eBay!

            Whatever is written above is my subjective opinion
            There are no warranties of any kind whatsoever
            You've been warned, act on your own risk
            And finally, I can be wrong I must say!
            Alex (aka BOKAKOB)

          • _{*L*}_
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
              You most likely like "the taste" better because of lower congeners bakers yeast generate compared to high-power "turbos."

              suitcase1499@... wrote:I sometimes use turbo yeast but mostly use bakers yeast and i am right the
              oppisite, i find the taste is better using bakers yeast maybe it's because of
              the lower abv wash I really don't know. I guess everyone has different taste if
              not we'd all be drinking one kind of liquor and or beer. (I like Bud Light
              Lol)

              Suitcase

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Always check my current auction offerings on eBay!

              Whatever is written above is my subjective opinion
              There are no warranties of any kind whatsoever
              You've been warned, act on your own risk
              And finally, I can be wrong I must say!
              Alex (aka BOKAKOB)

            • Héctor A. Landaeta C.
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
                On 1/12/04 5:00 AM, "ajdonnison" <adam@...> wrote:

                > I'd put professional in quotation marks if I were you. I'm pretty new
                > to distilling, but have been brewing beer, wine (grape, fruit and
                > vegetable), mead and cider for many years. I regularly do cider
                > making demonstrations at a local orchard, and have recently started
                > running wine and beer courses at the local community house. I have
                > done quite a lot of research, both theoretical and practical, so I may
                > be of some assistance, but I suspect there are probably others out
                > there with as much if not more knowledge.

                Hola Adam!
                Glad to have you onboard! Another voice on the true path! What happens
                here is that folks are a bit lazy on their mash (here it¹s wash) ingredients
                and procedures. The most popular fermentable sugar source here is sucrose,
                solely and plainly. They expect to go fill a bucket of water and some table
                sugar, ferment some weeks an get Stoli or Absolut out of their stills. If
                you¹re using just table sugar you can¹t expect exciting results from humble
                but true baker¹s yeast. That¹s what all the hoopla on ³turbos² is about, at
                least here.
                Salud y bienvenido!
                --
                Héctor Landaeta
                Colonia Tovar - Venezuela.

              • Levi Langershank
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
                  I agree.... its a matter of individual taste preference...my favorite
                  example is Jack Daniels...heavenly to many...I consider it just below
                  'dog-vomit'....:>)....(of course it depends on what the dog has been
                  eating...:>)