Bakers yeast etc

  • Bill Healey
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2004
      Hi Harry I agree with your decission to disagree. But, as I pointed out it was my experience, and my opinion that bakers yeast gives an aftertaste. I dont have the tastebuds that everybody else have. So it is my subjective opinion nothing more.
      If people are happy using bakers yeast then so be it.
      But it sure is'nt for me.
      Lift yr kilt high and let it fly Cheers...
      Bill...
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 30, 2004
        I sometimes use turbo yeast but mostly use bakers yeast and i am right the
        oppisite, i find the taste is better using bakers yeast maybe it's because of
        the lower abv wash I really don't know. I guess everyone has different taste if
        not we'd all be drinking one kind of liquor and or beer. (I like Bud Light
        Lol)

        Suitcase

      • ajdonnison
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
          In my research on bakers yeast (I run fermentation, beer and wine
          courses), I've found that it works alright up to around 12% abv, and
          other than the different taste, the only problem is that it doesn't
          flocculate (collect together) and tends to remain in suspension
          causing cloudiness. Not a problem for distillers, but beer and wine
          makers only use it as a last resort.

          The tastes provided by the yeast will also depend upon the
          fermentation speed and the time left on the lees. But then again
          taste is a very personal thing and I wouldn't want to suggest to
          someone what they should or shouldn't use based on taste.

          Adam

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ajdonnison" <adam@s...> wrote:

            > In my research on bakers yeast (I run fermentation, beer and wine
            > courses),

            Hi Adam. Glad to see another professional who 'walks the walk' on
            board here. The collective expertise in this wee community is
            downright staggering! Be prepared for a myriad of questions re
            yeast behaviour and fermentation. There are many here searching for
            the holy grail i.e. their own single malt whisky. You may be able
            to assist re slants, hydrolysis etc. Anyway, welcome to the
            groups. :-)

          • ajdonnison
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
              > Hi Adam. Glad to see another professional who 'walks the walk' on
              > board here. The collective expertise in this wee community is
              > downright staggering! Be prepared for a myriad of questions re
              > yeast behaviour and fermentation. There are many here searching for
              > the holy grail i.e. their own single malt whisky. You may be able
              > to assist re slants, hydrolysis etc. Anyway, welcome to the
              > groups. :-)

              I'd put professional in quotation marks if I were you. I'm pretty new
              to distilling, but have been brewing beer, wine (grape, fruit and
              vegetable), mead and cider for many years. I regularly do cider
              making demonstrations at a local orchard, and have recently started
              running wine and beer courses at the local community house. I have
              done quite a lot of research, both theoretical and practical, so I may
              be of some assistance, but I suspect there are probably others out
              there with as much if not more knowledge.

              Adam
            • _{*L*}_
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
                Adam, in my experience bakers yeast, given about 2~3 weeks, does settle down.

                ajdonnison <adam@...> wrote:
                In my research on bakers yeast (I run fermentation, beer and wine
                courses), I've found that it works alright up to around 12% abv, and
                other than the different taste, the only problem is that it doesn't
                flocculate (collect together) and tends to remain in suspension
                causing cloudiness. Not a problem for distillers, but beer and wine
                makers only use it as a last resort.

                The tastes provided by the yeast will also depend upon the
                fermentation speed and the time left on the lees. But then again
                taste is a very personal thing and I wouldn't want to suggest to
                someone what they should or shouldn't use based on taste.

                Adam

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, suitcase1499@a... wrote:
                > I sometimes use turbo yeast but mostly use bakers yeast and i am
                right the
                > oppisite, i find the taste is better using bakers yeast maybe it's
                because of
                > the lower abv wash I really don't know. I guess everyone has
                different taste if
                > not we'd all be drinking one kind of liquor and or beer. (I like Bud
                Light
                > Lol)
                >
                > Suitcase

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Always check my current auction offerings on eBay!

                Whatever is written above is my subjective opinion
                There are no warranties of any kind whatsoever
                You've been warned, act on your own risk
                And finally, I can be wrong I must say!
                Alex (aka BOKAKOB)

              • _{*L*}_
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
                  You most likely like "the taste" better because of lower congeners bakers yeast generate compared to high-power "turbos."

                  suitcase1499@... wrote:I sometimes use turbo yeast but mostly use bakers yeast and i am right the
                  oppisite, i find the taste is better using bakers yeast maybe it's because of
                  the lower abv wash I really don't know. I guess everyone has different taste if
                  not we'd all be drinking one kind of liquor and or beer. (I like Bud Light
                  Lol)

                  Suitcase

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Always check my current auction offerings on eBay!

                  Whatever is written above is my subjective opinion
                  There are no warranties of any kind whatsoever
                  You've been warned, act on your own risk
                  And finally, I can be wrong I must say!
                  Alex (aka BOKAKOB)

                • Héctor A. Landaeta C.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
                    On 1/12/04 5:00 AM, "ajdonnison" <adam@...> wrote:

                    > I'd put professional in quotation marks if I were you. I'm pretty new
                    > to distilling, but have been brewing beer, wine (grape, fruit and
                    > vegetable), mead and cider for many years. I regularly do cider
                    > making demonstrations at a local orchard, and have recently started
                    > running wine and beer courses at the local community house. I have
                    > done quite a lot of research, both theoretical and practical, so I may
                    > be of some assistance, but I suspect there are probably others out
                    > there with as much if not more knowledge.

                    Hola Adam!
                    Glad to have you onboard! Another voice on the true path! What happens
                    here is that folks are a bit lazy on their mash (here it¹s wash) ingredients
                    and procedures. The most popular fermentable sugar source here is sucrose,
                    solely and plainly. They expect to go fill a bucket of water and some table
                    sugar, ferment some weeks an get Stoli or Absolut out of their stills. If
                    you¹re using just table sugar you can¹t expect exciting results from humble
                    but true baker¹s yeast. That¹s what all the hoopla on ³turbos² is about, at
                    least here.
                    Salud y bienvenido!
                    --
                    Héctor Landaeta
                    Colonia Tovar - Venezuela.

                  • Levi Langershank
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
                      I agree.... its a matter of individual taste preference...my favorite
                      example is Jack Daniels...heavenly to many...I consider it just below
                      'dog-vomit'....:>)....(of course it depends on what the dog has been
                      eating...:>)