Second Run

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
      A few weeks ago I did my first run with my reflux still. The product was
      very good, but, it took forever (24+ hours total) to get to the tails.
      I think it should have been a little faster for 23 litres of 15%ABv wash.
      My column is 4 feet with the condenser above that. I had the column more
      or less filled with stainless scrubbers.
      I don't want to lose too much reflux by removing scrubbers so I'm pondering
      how to speed things up a little without losing too much purity.
      My water flow was total loss and I had not much more than a trickle.
      I have access to a pump that will greatly increase the amount of water flow
      through the condenser. Will this allow me to use a little more power to
      the boiler and thus increase the ability to takeoff pure product?

      Derek Hamlet
      Victoria, B.C.
    • _{*L*}_
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
        Derek, I am no master, but why dont you read and follow this? I call it "reflux" tune up guide...

        1.
        Stuff as many scrubbers as that hole will take. Dont hesitate pushing it in there. Afterard, do the "blow" test. If you can blow air through the packing
        without notable resistance - you are OK.

        2.
        Quick tune up for any reflux still to get that 95%+ abv
        - heat it up
        - turn cooling water to the reasonable high volume
        - increase heat till either steam escapes or column chokes (be gentle)
        - back off a little with heat
        - start reducing water supply untill the discharge is warm to pretty warm
        - wait 20 minutes or so to see that everything is stable
        - open crack-little the needle valve and bleed acetone, 1 drop/second
        - discard 1st whatever you dislikelike (50~75 mL)
        - save another 150~200 mL for the next run (don't use it = kaka)
        - the main cut arrived, increase take off rate till temp stars go up
        - lower take off rate to stabilize temp (400~600 mL/hr is regularly good)
        - keep on taking good stuff (don't use it now = danger)
        - when temp go up 0.5~0.75*C start thinking or changing bottle for tails
        That's all folks!

        Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:
        The product was very good, but, it took forever (24+ hours total) to get to the tails.

        Always check my current auction offerings on eBay!

        Whatever is written above is my subjective opinion
        There are no warranties of any kind whatsoever
        You've been warned, act on your own risk
        And finally, I can be wrong I must say!
        Alex (aka BOKAKOB)

      • Derek Hamlet
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
          Many thanks, that is helpful.
          At 07:42 PM 30/11/2004, you wrote:

          >Derek, I am no master, but why dont you read and follow this? I call it
          >"reflux" tune up guide...
          >
          >1.
          >Stuff as many scrubbers as that hole will take. Dont hesitate pushing it
          >in there. Afterard, do the "blow" test. If you can blow air through the packing
          >without notable resistance - you are OK.
          >
          >2.
          >Quick tune up for any reflux still to get that 95%+ abv
          >- heat it up
          >- turn cooling water to the reasonable high volume
          >- increase heat till either steam escapes or column chokes (be gentle)
          >- back off a little with heat
          >- start reducing water supply untill the discharge is warm to pretty warm
          >- wait 20 minutes or so to see that everything is stable
          >- open crack-little the needle valve and bleed acetone, 1 drop/second
          >- discard 1st whatever you dislikelike (50~75 mL)
          >- save another 150~200 mL for the next run (don't use it = kaka)
          >- the main cut arrived, increase take off rate till temp stars go up
          >- lower take off rate to stabilize temp (400~600 mL/hr is regularly good)
          >- keep on taking good stuff (don't use it now = danger)
          >- when temp go up 0.5~0.75*C start thinking or changing bottle for tails
          >That's all folks!
          >

          >Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:
          >The product was very good, but, it took forever (24+ hours total) to get
          >to the tails.
          >

          >Always check my current auction offerings on eBay!
          >
          >Whatever is written above is my subjective opinion
          >There are no warranties of any kind whatsoever
          >You've been warned, act on your own risk
          >And finally, I can be wrong I must say!
          >Alex (aka BOKAKOB)

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Derek Hamlet
          Victoria, B.C.
        • Lindsay Williams
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
            That does seem a tad slow. I have a similar setup I think (50mm by
            1170 column) and it takes me 13 hrs at 500ml/hr. Input pwr is 824W and
            abv is 95%.

            What is your col diameter and power input? Your take-off rate is what,
            about 300ml/hr??

            Cheers,
            Lindsay.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@s...> wrote:
            > A few weeks ago I did my first run with my reflux still. The
            product was
            > very good, but, it took forever (24+ hours total) to get to the tails.
            > I think it should have been a little faster for 23 litres of 15%ABv
            wash.
            > My column is 4 feet with the condenser above that. I had the column
            more
            > or less filled with stainless scrubbers.
            > I don't want to lose too much reflux by removing scrubbers so I'm
            pondering
            > how to speed things up a little without losing too much purity.
            > My water flow was total loss and I had not much more than a trickle.
            > I have access to a pump that will greatly increase the amount of
            water flow
            > through the condenser. Will this allow me to use a little more
            power to
            > the boiler and thus increase the ability to takeoff pure product?
            >

            > Derek Hamlet
            > Victoria, B.C.
          • Levi Langershank
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
              24 hours to distill 23l of 15% isnt that un-reasonable.Speeding up the
              process will generally lower your distillate's quality.Thats just the way it
              is....JMPO....good luck....:>)