Re: that better mouse trap

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 28, 2004
      A friend of mine in Texas (hiya Bill W!) taught me the trick of cold
      filtering. Or maybe call it freeze filtering. Set up the coffee
      filter / SS strainer in a freezer. Put a quart of 94%+ abv in the
      freezer and wait for the liquid temp to drop. Then strain through
      the filter - pour until the filter is full, then close the door and
      go do something else. Periodically come back and refill the filter.

      As it was explained to me, "stuff" that you don't want in the pure
      product tends to flock and expand in size when it's almost frozen.
      This larger size lets it get trapped in the coffee filter - whereas
      at room temperature it might pass through.

      Mark

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@y...> wrote:
      > I use 10 micron lab filter paper to great effect. As has been
      pointed out
      > surface area is the key. I made a special holder for the carbon
      and paper
      > out of a 4" stainless steel tube that matched the diameter of the
      lab filter
      > paper. Basically I used a 4" triclover, machined one of the
      ferrules to
      > accept the paper and a stainless steel mesh strainer that the
      paper sits on
      > so the carbon doesn't tear it with the weight. The 4" pipe only
      has to be
      > long enough to house about 2 cups of carbon as any more slows up
      the flow
      > too much. Either end of the 4" pipe I have welded a plate and a
      half inch
      > BSP socket which has a tap attached the top one is a ball cock as
      it is
      > there to arrest the flow only when necessary. The bottom tap is a
      fine pitch
      > like a needle valve. This one regulates the flow to a drip a
      second. I use
      > two sheets of filter paper at a time and find it has bugger all
      carbon stain
      > on it. Three sheets of paper slow it up too much as well.
      >

      > Above and below of this filter can be any vessel, I used two kegs
      only
      > because I had them. The top one I use to mix the 96% spirit down
      to the 40%
      > drinking strength and set and forget. I check it every day/week or
      so, just
      > to make sure everything is doing the right thing and drain off as
      necessary.
      > If you are interested I can email a few photos directly to you.
      Send and
      > email off post and what file size you can handle the photos in.
      >

      > Yours in spirit
      >

      > Robert
      >

      > _____

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1298akmbh/M=298184.5639630.6699735.30011
      76/D=gr

      oups/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1101493660/A=2434970/R=0/SIG=11edksnhv/*http
      :/www.n
      > etflix.com/Default?mqso=60185402> click here
      >

      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=
      > :HM/A=2434970/rand=700324068>
      >

      > _____
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      subject=Unsubscribe>