Re: Interesting pictures

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 27, 2004
      Wow. I never heard anyone from Georgia use the word "plethora"
      until I read this post (Go Vols!) And I agree, I use this Yahoo
      group to harvest ideas. I really don't care who invented what.
      When bickering like this starts to sound like a Monty Python sktech,
      I quit reading and abondon the thread. BOKAKOB's given me a lot of
      good ideas, and I hope it continues.

      Mark

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kiss my ass" <kiss_my_ass@c...>
      wrote:
      > I'm from Georgia and I know a pissing contest when I see one....
      boy!

      > I would just like to throw out this suggestion:
      >
      > Why don't we just list exactly what ideas and methods have been
      originated
      > by which of the contributors that frequent this forum.....or those
      that have
      > passed on before us.... rest their souls...... (no levity intended)
      >
      > I personally have harvested a plethora of ideas that I have sorted
      as to
      > what works best and what I am able to construct...I have selected
      what I
      > think is the best of the lot and incorporated it into my own
      device.....

      > I want to thank those that have the knowledge and the ability to
      develop it
      > into actual functioning tools of this "trade". I give credit
      where it
      > belongs and take none of the original ideas as my own....
      >
      > I think the constant bickering and squabbling over "who made it or
      who
      > thought of it" looks petty and degrades the inventors and thinkers
      who
      > frequent this space.....
      >
      > Soooooo let's settle it once and for all...... LIST THE IDEAS AND
      CREDIT

      ############

      Comparison.jpg
      > Uploaded by : bokakob <bokakob@y...>
      > Description : Visual scal for two still pictures is as close to
      each other
      > as possible. PDA-1 dimensions are scaled of the original picture
      and based
      > on pixel proportions.
      >
      > You can access this file at the URL:
      2A%7D_/PDA1-MiniStill%20Approximate%20Comparison.jpg

      http://tinyurl.com/4n6cp ) .
      > Let us hope we don't have to go down that route again.
      >
      > In any event, you do yourself an injustice ... if the height of
      your still
      > is 18" then it is only 457mm, not 547mm. I'm afraid too that the
      dimensions
      > you put against the PDA-1 are also wrong. However, you can't have
      > everything. I rather like your "famous" (to borrow your
      description)
      > slanted plate, for it is just what they used in early Coffey
      stills to
      > control flow, and a good design is a good design. However, I
      rather think
      > we will stick to the separator unit we have in the PDA-1 as it
      serves a
      > useful purpose other than just drawing off liquid, and has done
      its job well
      > in the three years since we designed it. Nevertheless, time
      marches on, and
      > all things can be improved if you set your mind to it, so we now
      have a
      > still on test that has no holes in its column whatsoever (except
      for top and
      > bottom of course). No take-off side tubes for either liquid or
      vapor, no
      > thermometer sticking in half way down ... just a sleek unmarked
      tube. You
      > might like to set your mind to designing something like that next,
      for it
      > could be the way back to the future. Truly new innovations, like
      that of
      > Johan's ARC notion, merit the greatest praise and admiration. A
      slightly
      > modified mousetrap does not, and we have yet to determine whether
      it will be
      > worth saving up for a De Lorien to mount this new contraption on.
      >
      > Bottom line, everyone gets good ideas from time to time, and many
      of these
      > ideas grow out of what others have done before. Nothing wrong
      that that
      > whatsoever ... it's just normal progress. I firmly believe that
      you should
      > have full credit for applying slanting plates to small stills, and
      would
      > have no hesitation in describing such plates as Bokakob Plates, or
      whatever
      > you choose to call them, when used in this application. However,
      it is now
      > well established that small stills work just as well as stills
      with long
      > columns, but with different operating parameters. In fact small
      stills have
      > been in common use in labs for quite a few hundred years. There
      can be no
      > claim to "inventing" them by anyone alive now, just perhaps some
      small merit
      > through incorporating design features that enhance performance.
      Your use of
      > slanting plates may well enhance performance, or it may not. It
      will be
      > very interesting to see what results you get when you determine the
      > operating envelope of this small still.
      >
      > Above all, be excellent to each other, and party on dudes!
      > Mike N

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.