Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Rolled corn w/Propionic Acid (a mold inhibitor)

Expand Messages
  • abeck111
    Thanks Harry, I really did not want to feed the deer and squirrels. They already consume just about every plant we have. My intentions were to cook the mash
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 26, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      Thanks Harry,

      I really did not want to feed the deer and squirrels. They already
      consume just about every plant we have.

      My intentions were to cook the mash (so to speak).

      Thanks for all the help you long timers bring to these forums.

      Drew


      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
      wrote:
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abeck111" <abeck111@y...>
      wrote:
      > >
      > > Greetings all,
      > >
      > > I purchased a 50lb sack of rolled corn from the feed store. I
      did
      > > not realize until I got home and opened it that it contains
      > > propionic acid. The tag indicates that it is used as a mold
      > > inhibitor. My question is this: Is it still suitable to be
      used
      > as
      > > mash ingredient? Or should I invite the Deer and squirrels over
      > for
      > > a feast?
      > >
      > > Drew
      >
      >
      > If you're going to cook/saccharify the corn, there's no problem.
      > The acid will be neutralised in the process. Don't worry about
      the
      > dire poisoning warnings seen in MSDS bulletins, either. That's
      for
      > ingestion of the pure product. Propionic acid is used in food
      > preservation (mainly in baked goods and cheeses). It is used to
      make
      > calcium and sodium propionates, which are added to food to prevent
      > mold or "ropes" in dry baked goods. Happy Mashing. :-)
      >
      >
      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry (old baker)
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.