Re: [Distillers] Control valve for Nixon-Stone ?

  • Scott A
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 10 12:50 AM
      Hi Tony
      Unfortunately there is not cheap and easy way of controling the still like
      this in such heigh procision. For a incrament of .1 it is quite hard to find
      temperature measuring instraments especially ones which will control
      electronics. There are thermocouples which you mentioned (i think type K is
      the best) they have temperature incraments of 1 degree. maybe someone else
      knows of better instraments
      i have yet to see solenoids which can finely control flow rates the only
      ones i have seen are gate valves allthough i have seen the devices which
      seem like they are designed to control solenoids that control flow rates
      like this.
      To turn off the still permanently you could fairly easily incorperate a
      switch which would do what you want into the electronics of the control
      system. i would guess you could get a switch like this at a electronics
      shop.
      At the moment i am working on a control system which will interface with a
      computer so you can change the control of the still when you modify it as i
      seem to always be doing. I am currently experimenting with ways to over come
      the temperature incrament problem.
      i hope this helped a little
      From Scott

      >From: "Brian Poke" <bjfm@...>
      >To: <distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Control valve for Nixon-Stone ?
      >Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 17:21:21 +1000
      >
      >tony---- that bloke who was active this list a couple of years ago aaron
      >smith [smithers] his web site was or is millenium moonshine-------he was a
      >whiz at exactly what you speak of here-------if you need his contact
      >details
      >come back this list and i'll chase him up ---------brian

    • Bennett, Mark E
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 10 3:10 AM
        Tony
        I have been looking at using a couple of computer electronic kits to
        do something along these line. The fist kit has analogue to digital inputs
        and outputs plus digital outputs. The second kit will control stepper
        motors. What my thoughts have been is to use the IO kit to monitor
        temperatures and flow rates and to use the steper motor kit to adjust the
        needle valves and gas flow(heat), I am also considering going to electric as
        this is some what easier to control remotely. My other objective is to use
        the IO kit to drive a web page so that the system can be monitored and
        controlled remotely and send SMS messaging so that I can get to the kids
        sport and stay in touch with what's happening. I have put the first kit
        together and have started work on building the interfaces and software.
        Stage one of the project is for the remote monitoring and logging.
        Hopefully the data that I collect from this will prove that the concept will
        work. I expect that the monitoring hardware will be under $100 dollars plus
        an old PC. At present I expect that this is going to take me a few months
        to get going so don't hold your breath.

        Mark

        OK - who out there knows a little about a control valve suitable for
        controlling a Nixon-Stone still head ?

        Eg something CHEAP and EASY that uses a thermocouple in the vapour to
        measure its temperature, then open or closes the distillate outlet valve to

        http://www.rvmobile.com/tech/trouble/solenoid1.htm , but better suited to

      • MtrcyclMon@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10 8:50 PM