Re: [Distillers] Control valve for Nixon-Stone ?

  • Brian Poke
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 10, 2001
      tony---- that bloke who was active this list a couple of years ago aaron
      smith [smithers] his web site was or is millenium moonshine-------he was a
      whiz at exactly what you speak of here-------if you need his contact details
      come back this list and i'll chase him up ---------brian
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Tony & Elle Ackland <Tony.Ackland@...>
      To: 'Distillers newsgroup' <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, 10 June 2001 12:29
      Subject: [Distillers] Control valve for Nixon-Stone ?

      > OK - who out there knows a little about a control valve suitable for
      > controlling a Nixon-Stone still head ?
      >
      > Eg something CHEAP and EASY that uses a thermocouple in the vapour to
      > measure its temperature, then open or closes the distillate outlet valve
      > adjust the amount of reflux happening in response.
      >
      > It would replace the needle valve seen in
      > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/image/tony_still_head.gif
      >
      > Sorta like whats described at
      > http://www.rvmobile.com/tech/trouble/solenoid1.htm , but better suited to
      > our set-up. It would need to be accurate/sensitive enough to change the
      > valve position, for temperature differences of say around 0.1-0.2 degrees,
      > and the valve only needs to be able to do say 0-100 mL/min flow. The
      > adjustments that the valve would need to be capable of would be in the
      > order of say 5 mL/min steps.
      >
      > What else would be required to turn off the power to the still
      > (permenantly) once the outlet temperature gets above a particular
      > temperatures (eg 94C) ?
      >
      > Tony

    • Scott A
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 10, 2001
        Hi Tony
        Unfortunately there is not cheap and easy way of controling the still like
        this in such heigh procision. For a incrament of .1 it is quite hard to find
        temperature measuring instraments especially ones which will control
        electronics. There are thermocouples which you mentioned (i think type K is
        the best) they have temperature incraments of 1 degree. maybe someone else
        knows of better instraments
        i have yet to see solenoids which can finely control flow rates the only
        ones i have seen are gate valves allthough i have seen the devices which
        seem like they are designed to control solenoids that control flow rates
        like this.
        To turn off the still permanently you could fairly easily incorperate a
        switch which would do what you want into the electronics of the control
        system. i would guess you could get a switch like this at a electronics
        shop.
        At the moment i am working on a control system which will interface with a
        computer so you can change the control of the still when you modify it as i
        seem to always be doing. I am currently experimenting with ways to over come
        the temperature incrament problem.
        i hope this helped a little
        From Scott

        >From: "Brian Poke" <bjfm@...>
        >To: <distillers@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Control valve for Nixon-Stone ?
        >Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 17:21:21 +1000
        >
        >tony---- that bloke who was active this list a couple of years ago aaron
        >smith [smithers] his web site was or is millenium moonshine-------he was a
        >whiz at exactly what you speak of here-------if you need his contact
        >details
        >come back this list and i'll chase him up ---------brian

      • Bennett, Mark E
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2001
          Tony
          I have been looking at using a couple of computer electronic kits to
          do something along these line. The fist kit has analogue to digital inputs
          and outputs plus digital outputs. The second kit will control stepper
          motors. What my thoughts have been is to use the IO kit to monitor
          temperatures and flow rates and to use the steper motor kit to adjust the
          needle valves and gas flow(heat), I am also considering going to electric as
          this is some what easier to control remotely. My other objective is to use
          the IO kit to drive a web page so that the system can be monitored and
          controlled remotely and send SMS messaging so that I can get to the kids
          sport and stay in touch with what's happening. I have put the first kit
          together and have started work on building the interfaces and software.
          Stage one of the project is for the remote monitoring and logging.
          Hopefully the data that I collect from this will prove that the concept will
          work. I expect that the monitoring hardware will be under $100 dollars plus
          an old PC. At present I expect that this is going to take me a few months
          to get going so don't hold your breath.

          Mark

          OK - who out there knows a little about a control valve suitable for
          controlling a Nixon-Stone still head ?

          Eg something CHEAP and EASY that uses a thermocouple in the vapour to
          measure its temperature, then open or closes the distillate outlet valve to

        • MtrcyclMon@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 10, 2001