joining glass column to copper parts,

  • Robert Lemmen
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 26, 2004
      hi everyone,

      thanks for the comments on where to get the thin copper pipe, i have found
      a company and will call them on monday to see whether they got what i want.

      now something else: i have a very neat 2" x 1m glass column which works and
      looks really nice. i can only recommend glass columns as it makes it very
      easy to spot if your packing is too loose or too tight. anyway, i need to join
      that column to the column head(copper) and the lower part (copper too) and of
      course i can't just put glass on metal. until now i used strips of laboratory
      rubber pipes as seals/spacers. but they change color and structure, so i guess
      they might give off a bad taste as well. how do you guys (with glass columns)
      do that? any good tips?

      cu robert

      --
      Robert Lemmen http://www.semistable.com
    • rodmacd2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 26, 2004
        Get a copy of Dr. John Stone's book "The Carriage Still" available at
        www.brewhaus.ca

        He describes and diagrams how to make a compression fitting (using a
        nylon ferrule) which can be used to join a glass column to copper or
        brass.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Lemmen <robertle@s...>
        wrote:

        > hi everyone,
        >
        > thanks for the comments on where to get the thin copper pipe, i
        have found
        > a company and will call them on monday to see whether they got what
        i want.

        > now something else: i have a very neat 2" x 1m glass column which
        works and
        > looks really nice. i can only recommend glass columns as it makes
        it very
        > easy to spot if your packing is too loose or too tight. anyway, i
        need to join
        > that column to the column head(copper) and the lower part (copper
        too) and of
        > course i can't just put glass on metal. until now i used strips of
        laboratory
        > rubber pipes as seals/spacers. but they change color and structure,
        so i guess
        > they might give off a bad taste as well. how do you guys (with
        glass columns)
        > do that? any good tips?
        >
        > cu robert
        >
        > --
        > Robert Lemmen
        http://www.semistable.com
      • stevolate
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 26, 2004
          Hi Robert
          I join glass column to SS pot and head with machined flanges
          each has 2 o-rings. This makes it very easy to change colums. Will
          post photos if you need.

          Good luck
          Stevo

          http://www.semistable.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 26, 2004
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stevolate" <stevolate@y...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Robert
            > I join glass column to SS pot and head with machined
            flanges
            > each has 2 o-rings. This makes it very easy to change colums. Will
            > post photos if you need.
            >
            > Good luck
            > Stevo

            Plumbers thread-tape and copper union fittings is another option.