Control valve for Nixon-Stone ?

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2001
      OK - who out there knows a little about a control valve suitable for
      controlling a Nixon-Stone still head ?

      Eg something CHEAP and EASY that uses a thermocouple in the vapour to
      measure its temperature, then open or closes the distillate outlet valve to
      adjust the amount of reflux happening in response.

      It would replace the needle valve seen in
      http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/image/tony_still_head.gif

      Sorta like whats described at
      http://www.rvmobile.com/tech/trouble/solenoid1.htm , but better suited to
      our set-up. It would need to be accurate/sensitive enough to change the
      valve position, for temperature differences of say around 0.1-0.2 degrees,
      and the valve only needs to be able to do say 0-100 mL/min flow. The
      adjustments that the valve would need to be capable of would be in the
      order of say 5 mL/min steps.

      What else would be required to turn off the power to the still
      (permenantly) once the outlet temperature gets above a particular
      temperatures (eg 94C) ?

      Tony
    • Brian Poke
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 10, 2001
        tony---- that bloke who was active this list a couple of years ago aaron
        smith [smithers] his web site was or is millenium moonshine-------he was a
        whiz at exactly what you speak of here-------if you need his contact details
        come back this list and i'll chase him up ---------brian
        > OK - who out there knows a little about a control valve suitable for
        > controlling a Nixon-Stone still head ?
        >
        > Eg something CHEAP and EASY that uses a thermocouple in the vapour to
        > measure its temperature, then open or closes the distillate outlet valve
        > adjust the amount of reflux happening in response.
        >
        > It would replace the needle valve seen in
        > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/image/tony_still_head.gif
        >
        > Sorta like whats described at
        > http://www.rvmobile.com/tech/trouble/solenoid1.htm , but better suited to
        > our set-up. It would need to be accurate/sensitive enough to change the
        > valve position, for temperature differences of say around 0.1-0.2 degrees,
        > and the valve only needs to be able to do say 0-100 mL/min flow. The
        > adjustments that the valve would need to be capable of would be in the
        > order of say 5 mL/min steps.
        >
        > What else would be required to turn off the power to the still
        > (permenantly) once the outlet temperature gets above a particular
        > temperatures (eg 94C) ?
        >
        > Tony

      • Scott A
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2001
          Hi Tony
          Unfortunately there is not cheap and easy way of controling the still like
          this in such heigh procision. For a incrament of .1 it is quite hard to find
          temperature measuring instraments especially ones which will control
          electronics. There are thermocouples which you mentioned (i think type K is
          the best) they have temperature incraments of 1 degree. maybe someone else
          knows of better instraments
          i have yet to see solenoids which can finely control flow rates the only
          ones i have seen are gate valves allthough i have seen the devices which
          seem like they are designed to control solenoids that control flow rates
          like this.
          To turn off the still permanently you could fairly easily incorperate a
          switch which would do what you want into the electronics of the control
          system. i would guess you could get a switch like this at a electronics
          shop.
          At the moment i am working on a control system which will interface with a
          computer so you can change the control of the still when you modify it as i
          seem to always be doing. I am currently experimenting with ways to over come
          the temperature incrament problem.
          i hope this helped a little
          From Scott

          >From: "Brian Poke" <bjfm@...>
          >To: <distillers@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Control valve for Nixon-Stone ?
          >Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 17:21:21 +1000
          >
          >tony---- that bloke who was active this list a couple of years ago aaron
          >smith [smithers] his web site was or is millenium moonshine-------he was a
          >whiz at exactly what you speak of here-------if you need his contact
          >details
          >come back this list and i'll chase him up ---------brian

        • Bennett, Mark E
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 10, 2001
            Tony
            I have been looking at using a couple of computer electronic kits to
            do something along these line. The fist kit has analogue to digital inputs
            and outputs plus digital outputs. The second kit will control stepper
            motors. What my thoughts have been is to use the IO kit to monitor
            temperatures and flow rates and to use the steper motor kit to adjust the
            needle valves and gas flow(heat), I am also considering going to electric as
            this is some what easier to control remotely. My other objective is to use
            the IO kit to drive a web page so that the system can be monitored and
            controlled remotely and send SMS messaging so that I can get to the kids
            sport and stay in touch with what's happening. I have put the first kit
            together and have started work on building the interfaces and software.
            Stage one of the project is for the remote monitoring and logging.
            Hopefully the data that I collect from this will prove that the concept will
            work. I expect that the monitoring hardware will be under $100 dollars plus
            an old PC. At present I expect that this is going to take me a few months
            to get going so don't hold your breath.

            Mark

          • MtrcyclMon@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 10, 2001