Re: That Photos Issue

  • gjbloom
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 23, 2004
      I think restricting access to full images is more because Yahoo wants
      you to buy premium services. I recall when they instituted this
      policy, they also performed the "service" of idenitfying all photo
      filetypes that people were storing in their free yahoo briefcase
      area, and moved them to a new "photo" area, from which the owners of
      said photos can now only see a small version unless they upgrade or
      order digital prints. I bet if you wanted them to slap that diagram
      on a T-shirt, they'd be happy to oblige, in full resolution.

      (In fairness, though, photos can easily gobble up bandwidth. For a
      free service, Yahoo does a good job. I bet if someone paid enough
      baksheesh to Yahoo, they'd let the group have more storage and
      bandwidth, though I haven't checked.)

      FWIW, here's a list of free image hosting sites. I bet most of them
      give access to the full-sized images:
      http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-image-hosting.php

      If someone wants to take the time to scope them out, maybe we can
      choose one as our "official" repository.

      Another useful site is dropload. It lets you post files up to 100MB
      in size for someone else to pick up. You upload your file and
      provide an email address for the recipient (i.e.
      Distillers@yahoogroups.com), and they get an email with a link to
      fetch the file. The file is available for 7 days. Free of cost.
      http://www.dropload.com/

      Greg