Re: Inclined Head (From theroy to practice)

  • auldfardt
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 21, 2004
      My thanks to all who replied to this thread. Well I've gone over to
      the "dark side" & built my inclined offset head still. I've posted
      some pics to the pictures area under the folder "Inclined Head"

      Did my first run - re-distilled some 60% tails & other junk. Output
      was 95% at 350-400mm/hour.

      Question: If I now build a short column (about 12") and put the
      inclined head on with no packing, will it double as a pot
      still/stripping still. I think it should, but I haven't tried it.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Boot _" <boot136@h...> wrote:
      > >My question is : Would I get poorer performance if I inclined the
      > >offset head at about 30 degrees. This would give me room to build
      > >decent head.
      >
      > No, you'll get great performance Greg! I've been using inclined
      heads right
      > along and I reckon they're at least as good as vertical units and
      might even
      > be better, depending on the design.
      > I've been meaning to diagram mine and post it, so will now do so at
      the
      > first opportunity.
      >
      > >Obviously the vapours will seek the highest point, ie. the top of
      the
      > >inclined pipe...
      >
      > I'm now pretty sure this is wrong thinking that had me worried when
      > designed mine too. The vapours might seek the highest point if they
      are
      > floating around in your bedroom, but inside a condenser they will
      seek the
      > point of lowest pressure. This means that they will readily turn
      around and
      > flow towards the floor if in doing so they are able to fill the
      partial
      > vacuum created by the (what might be called catastrophic) collapse
      of the
      > vapour at the coil surface.
      >
      > See what I mean? Vapour hits the coil, implodes into a minute
      fraction of
      > its original volume, and then pulls more vapour in behind itself.
      This is by