reply to dino and tony

  • BJ & FM Poke
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2000
      dino=could you just check your mash dilution rate that you gave,you stated 300 u.s. gallons to 1500 lbs.[or as most of the world works now, approx. 750 kg to 1140 litres] even by brewers standards that's exceptionally bloody thick, have we /i done the sums wrong,that's not even 2:1 ====with an all malt mash we run, as single malt distillers, up to 5.5:1 down to 4.5:1, if i were running a mash of the same feedstock for standard beer 3.6:1 down to 2.8:1

      distillers also run a lower mash temp.to chase the beta A. same reason greater dilution,we want full attenuation not mouth feel ===explosion proof grist mill[in room] i guess it's because the public are involved,i noticed in some brewing publication that u.s. law has tightened up again on by-product disposal the laws in your country are very strict by comparison to australia but we are catching up ,good thing, i guess it's a tad slow here as this country is in size slightly bigger than u.s. but only has i think less than 20 million people and if they flattened out the state i live in ,tasmania, it would be bigger than the rest of the world i think

      after the grist leaves the post g.m. auger and enters the grist mixer[mash tank same thing] is that where you set your strike temp. ???????????

      tony=that calculation system on your web site is excellent,particularly if people realise that one's particular circumstances will change those values slightly ,still design, ambient temp,reflux potential/ability, diameter of interfacing[s] and even things like the amount of shit which has built up in steam pathway also angle of lyne arm,heat transfer ability of different metals etc.etc.===all in all a damn lot of work congratulations, it certainly takes your web site into a truly serious mode and covers the lot from cradle to the grave really,it fascinated me most particularly as the industry doesn't even plot a course quite that definativly[well the bit i'm in ] we simply use lal's in lal's out and read with hydrometers======
      many whatsanames brian