Re: [Distillers] Cleaning stainless pipe?

  • booger471@email.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2001
      Tony wrote:

      >I have been able to get enough stainless 312 pipe from my local scrap
      >dealer to assemble a Nixon-Stone colum. A great deal at $1.00 per
      >pound. All of the connections are threded so it can easily be dis-
      >assembled for cleaning and I have enough bits to make an extra pot
      >still head for stripping. It is all 1 1/4 inches in diameter.

      Sounds great! Are you sure about the alloy number? I'm not familiar with
      312. Not that it matters; just a point of curiosity.

      > 1. How can I best clean this pipe, it has the normal rusty
      >sludge and interior stains that one would expect from used pipe.
      >Scrubbing is not going to get this muck out. What chemical is best?

      I'd say acid. I'm pretty sure nitric is best (but probably hard to get).
      Maybe try some muriatic (hydrochloric). Diluted (maybe 1:10), and test a
      small patch first.

      Be careful with it - safety gear is important with the concentrations you
      can get in the hardware store. And always add acid to water, not the
      reverse.

      > 2. This is quite heavy when fully assembled, will the weight be
      >a problem for temperature regulation?

      Actually, it may help stabilize things, given all the thermal mass.

      Booger
    • John William Clark
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 21, 2001
        Dear Group,

        I have been a keen reader (rather than writer) of this groups
        contributions for the past nine months, but am getting a little tired of
        the unnecessarily large, time consuming images we are all being
        repeatedly forced to download.

        Images are often useful to see, but there is frequently no effort given
        to either optimise and/or reduce the file size to facilitate ease of
        downloading.

        Thus I will be unsubscribing from the group within the next hour or so.

        Best wishes,

        John Clark.

        John William Clark M.A., B.A.(Hons)
        Proprietor of Clanark Tartan Whisky
        The Perfect Personalised Gift For Any Occasion

        Website: http://www.clanarkwhisky.co.uk
        Telephone: +44 (0)1642 353963 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm GMT)
        Mobile: +44 (0)7713 422755
        Facsimile: +44 (0)1642 353964
        Email: jwc@...

        Postal Address: 8 Brentford Road, Norton, Stockton-on-Tees, Cleveland,
        TS20 2DW, United Kingdom

        Operations Address: Eaglescliffe Logistics Centre, Durham Lane,
        Eaglescliffe, Stockton-on-Tees, Cleveland, TS16 0RW, United Kingdom
      • Ian
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 21, 2001
          All the best John, hope the group was of some help.
          Pilch