Re: [Distillers] newby

  • Andrew Forsberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 2004
      Hey there Dave,

      You'll find plenty of plans, recipes, and advice right here:
      http://homedistiller.org/

      As you might expect, many many other folk have joined up and asked the
      same question. If you have any specific questions it's probably quickest
      to check the archives here first:
      http://archive.nnytech.net/

      There's also the sister-group New_Distillers here:

      But the short answer to your question requires two questions back at you
      -- First: are you interested in making traditional corn whiskey? or
      'moonshine' (typically a sugar wash with corn thrown in)? The former is
      a whole lot messier than the latter, but is authentic in flavour.
      Second: building a still can be as simple as slapping a wok of ice on
      your favourite stock pot with a lemon squeezer base floating underneath,
      or as complex as a two or three column continuous monster. Fabrication
      may not be a problem, but if you can tell us what sort of product you're
      hoping to emulate then you'll get better advice. For instance: a
      sugar-based product will be fine through a still with internal elements,
      but anything with solids will be better processed by a pot still, or a
      double-boiler.

      Soooo many variables, I'm afraid. :) Have fun! Tony's site
      (homedistiller.org) is definitely the best place to start though.

      Cheers
      Andrew