RE: [Distillers] refractionating run-off

  • Pete Sayers
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2001
      With reguards to the temp of the distilate, there was a theory that if the
      distilate was coming off at a high tep, then this would allow some of the
      higher volatiles to bleed off easier.????
      Pete

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2001
        Tom wrote:

        >So, my question is in two parts. First, is the distillate from a refracting
        >column suppose to be hot?

        It depends on your condenser setup, but for most designs, I would expect
        the product to be cooler than its condensation temperature. If it is
        right at its boiling point, you run the risk of losing product as vapour.
        The cooler the product, the less product is lost.

        >And second, does it make a difference to the product quality if it is?

        I would expect it to have little impact. More volatile components will be
        lost more readily, so your heads (and the first of your ethanol) will be
        lower in methanol, and your tails (and the last of your ethanol) will have
        more higher alcohols, but I don't expect this to be a significant effect.

        Cooling your product further may be a good idea.

        Booger