Re: beer brewing pot

  • hoponpopontoponmoponcop@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2001
      As a homebrewer I'm familiar with what the beer shop guy is telling
      you. The keg (lauter tun) is used to sparge your grains. Basically
      you're running hot water through the grains slowly and dissolving the
      sugars from the grains as the water runs through. This process
      creates wort. The wort is in turn run off, boiled, and stuff is
      added (hops, adjuncts, etc) depending on beer style.
      this address has more info on all grain brewing:
      http://www.homebrew.com/how_to/advanced_brewing.shtml

      If I understand your question, then yes you could use the lauter tun
      to extract the sugars, but you're still going to have to boil the
      wort (min 30 minutes). If you're set on making 30 gallons then
      you'll have to do it in smaller (5-6) batches. You could use the
      lauter tun to strain your all grain mash once you had made it. I
      wouldn't use a lauter tun to make (ferment) an all grain mash, too
      hard to disinfect, and I'm not sure how to go about putting an air
      lock on it.