Water/Woda for Wodka

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2004
      The quality of the water used for diluting is often overlooked. Here
      is an excerpt from 'On Vodka Quality' by Dr Boleslaw Skrzypak
      (polishvodkas site).

      There is a current fashion for neutral spirit, that is, chemically
      pure ethyl alcohol with all other aroma-producing
      compounds "laundered out". Taken straight, vodka made from it is
      neither here nor there, without expression, but by the same token it
      is ideal for making highballs, cocktails and the like, because the
      absence of flavour allows all the aromatic nuances of the fruit
      juices, herb extracts and other mixers in mixed drinks to be brought
      out.

      The water used to dilute the rectified spirit must be not only
      completely colourless and without any foreign taste or odour, but be
      also demineralised. Otherwise it will cloud the liquor and
      precipitate, and the precipitates are difficult to remove.
      Water is demineralised through the removal of iron and manganese
      compounds by aeration and filtering, and also through softening
      (removal of lime and magnesium) in ion exchangers.
      A still more effective method is the now widespread method of reverse
      osmosis.
      In the past, water was demineralised by distillation. Today this has
      been abandoned because of its energy intensiveness and the fact that
      it leaves a not too pleasant odour and a flat aftertaste.
      Demineralised water must be used within 24 hours after its
      prossessing.

      wal
      (PS 'woda' is Polish for water)
    • Levi Langershank
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 19, 2004
        I always use spring water to dilute my final distillate...I dont know the
        mineral content etc but I suspect there are some minerals and certainly lime
        present in most any SE Tennessee mountain spring water...:>)....never had
        any problem with cloudiness...actually its absolutely clear...seems even
        more clear than either the distillate or the water individually,but that may
        be because I place it in 5 and 6 gal glass carboys when diluted...I collect
        in 1 gallon jugs......as far as the taste,I love it...always drink it
        straight...never mixed.....of course its a matter of individual
        preference......just because I, the fellow you quoted or anyone else says
        it,dosnt make it so...JMPO...:>)

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 20, 2004
          Read it together with -
          These days it is difficult for distilleries to be located near pure
          spring water so many commercial vodkas use demineralised water.
          wal
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Levi Langershank" <unit_77@h...>