True cherry brandy

  • Terry
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2001
      I've decided to try making a cherry brandy starting from the wine stage up.
      I've gone through the fruit in the bucket for 5 days stage and have done
      the first rack at a SG of 1.05. The instructions that came on the can of
      fruit (for wine making) state to do another rack at 3 or 4 weeks and then
      let it sit for 3 to 4 months before bottling. Has anyone done this before?
      My question is - at what point can it/should it be distilled.

      Thanks for any help,
      Terry
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2001
        >My question is - at what point can it/should it be distilled.

        A fair bit of the waiting time with wine is to let it settle/clear. This
        isn't important if you're distilling it. If its still slowly fermenting
        out the last few grams of sugars during these last 3-4 months, then you are
        only going to be missing out on a small amount of alcohol by distilling
        early.

        Tony
      • hoponpopontoponmoponcop@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 12, 2001
          the other advantage of lettng the wine sit for a couple months is to
          soften the flavor. If you've got a pot still this will probably make
          some difference, but I'm not sure whether the difference will be
          better or worse. If you've got a reflux still I'm willing to bet
          that letting the wine sit the extra couple months won't buy you
          anything.