Re: reactivating carbon

  • tedsims@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30 7:41 PM
      Jack Daniels also sells its old barrels, and some of them end up
      as smoking chips for barbeque. I bought some recently so that I
      can try aging my liquor in big jars containing some of these
      chips. I have also seen the filter charcoal material sold in
      pressed "pellets" for flavoring barbeque.

      I have one comment about something you said. The area of the
      Jack Daniels distillery is not what I would call the Appalachian
      mountains, and the water is quite different. That part of western
      Tennessee has quite a different geography. The soil is lousy,
      and there are limestone outcroppings everywhere.

      The other comment I have is that, while bourbon and Tennessee
      whiskey is distilled to a low proof with a lot of flavor in it, it isn't
      distilled in pot stills. A sort of column still with plates is used.

      I want to get some "white dog" from one of these distilleries so
      tha I can taste it for comparison to what comes from my still.

      --- In Distillers@y..., longleaf123@y... wrote:
      > I have personally been to Jack Daniels, and here is the scoop.
      >
      > American Bourbons are a whiskey. It is not merely ethanol
      plus water.
      > Ethanol and water with everything else stripped out is a vodka.
      > Bourbons are quality grains and malts plus the iron free
      waters from
      > the Appalachain mountains. It is illegal to use anything other
      than
      > grains such as sugar. These ingredients plus a 'process'
      yields the
      > American Bourbons and Tennessee Whiskeys. Bourbons and
      Tennessee
      > whiskeys have identical recipes and process's with one
      exception. The
      > Tennessee whiskeys are carbon filtered. There are only two
      Tennessee
      > whiskeys, Jack Daniels and George Dickel. George Dickel's
      yearly
      > production is about equivelent to a year of JD. They are located
      > about 15 miles from each other, about 80 miles east of
      Nashville TN.

      > The carbon filters are about 12ft deep, with a woolen blanket
      on the
      > bottom, and spray bars on top. I lifted the lid off of one of these
      > filter
      > and flapped it around. The fumes got me a little tipsy. The
      liquid
      > off the bottom of the filters are 'tasted' frequently, nosed in
      > actuality, as a professional taster rarely has to actually taste
      the
      > liquid to perform the quality checks. When the filter 'expires' it
      > is shut down and allowed to drain. The drainage is sent back
      > upstream for refiltering since it came through an expired filter.
      > After draining, the carbon is removed with a giant vacuum
      cleaner, a
      > truck mounted affair. The carbon is then processed into
      charcoal
      > briquette, for sale on barbeque grills. New carbon is put into
      the
      > filter. A crew make carbon daily, by a controlled burn of a ricket
      > of maple.
      >
      > The product is aged for at least 4 years, like any good bourbon.
      > Legally a bourbon aged for 2 years minimum in a new toasted
      oak
      > barrel. There are several grades of toasting, I think the JD
      spec is
      > a 3+ on a scale of 5, 5 being heaviest, but I don't quite exactly
      > remember the scale mechanics here.
      > Most producers age 4 years, some more, the cheaper ones
      less.

      > Tennessee whiskey is a bourbon technically. But they don't like
      > call themselves a bourbon, but a Tennessee Sipping Whiskey.
      This is a
      > marketing thing.
      >
      > Spirits that are heavily refined and filtered are the vodkas. They
      > are simply ethanol and water. And they pride themselves on
      how pure
      > the ethanol and water is. But a whiskey, that is a different affair
      > entirely.
      >
      > Jack Daniels is a unit of Brown-Forman company at brown-
      forman.com.

      > I've been reading this list for about a year and have read every
      > message. There is a lot of discussion about what is best.
      What is