1st Distill

  • Neil
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004
      Almost finished my very first distill. Everything is going OK, I
      think!! I guess it will take experience to figure out the cuts. I
      run off the first 75-100ml (does the methonal have to be dumped or
      can it get re-used in another wash?) trying to figure out the heads
      was tough, but I did notice a change in aroma so I cut at about
      100ml in. the middle is still going, I have collected about 1200ml
      so far. This was only a 3g wash, temp is still at 78* so I am still
      collecting. What I have collected so far is about 87% so I am very
      happy. Tastes good too, got a little buzz going. I don't think I
      will distill twice on this batch but I will carbon filter. Do you
      have to go to all the trouble of spending 2 days cleaning it, what
      does everyone else do?? Also how much carbon should I add to a liter
      of 45% distilite and how long should it sit for??
      Temp just went up to 79* so I will start collecting the rest as
      tails up to around 82* If any of this sounds wrong please let me
      know!! I guess I am going to end up with around 1400ml of middle. Do
      these cuts sound about right for the size batch??
      All in all this was a lot of fun, from the pot going on till now has
      been around 3 1/2 hours. But it did take a while to get up to temp.
      That's it for now guys, will look forward to feedback!!
      Cheers,
      Neil
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Neil" <britishbartender@h...>
        wrote:

        > Almost finished my very first distill. Everything is going OK, I
        > think!! I guess it will take experience to figure out the
        cuts.<snip>
        .
        > That's it for now guys, will look forward to feedback!!
        > Cheers,
        > Neil

        Another Convert!!!! Heh, you'll never go back to 'store-bought'
        now, Neil. :-)

      • Neil
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004

          > Another Convert!!!! Heh, you'll never go back to 'store-bought'
          > now, Neil. :-)
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

          You are right there Harry.
          All finished now. 5 hours from start to finish on a 3g wash. Does
          that mean a regular wash will be twice as long??
          This is what I ended up with:
          90ml Methonal (playing it safe)
          225ml Heads 87%
          1400ml Middle 87%
          280ml Tails 75% (ended at 84*)
          Does this sound right??
          Cheers,
          Neil
        • pthoma_nz
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004
            wrote:
            > This is what I ended up with:
            > 90ml Methonal (playing it safe)
            > 225ml Heads 87%
            > 1400ml Middle 87%
            > 280ml Tails 75% (ended at 84*)
            > Does this sound right??

            Neil,
            Try dipping your finger in a glass of water, then passing it under
            the product outlet. The water allows the tastes and smells to be
            better determined, it is really hard to do fine cuts on pure
            product, the eth vapours overwhelm the other smells.
            Collect up to 95o since there is a lot of eth still to be extracted.
            I still think you should be trying for 50% mains on this type of
            still.
            Put one bottle aside of 4o% with half a cup of carbon, and shake
            every second day, have a taste each week and then you'll know how
            long you need to clean your product for...

            peet
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004
              wrote:

              > You are right there Harry.
              > All finished now. 5 hours from start to finish on a 3g wash. Does
              > that mean a regular wash will be twice as long??

              in the wash, power input, insulation, equilibration time etc., but
              generally if you double the charge then it's roughly double the time.

              > This is what I ended up with:
              > 90ml Methonal (playing it safe)

              > 225ml Heads 87%
              > 1400ml Middle 87%
              > 280ml Tails 75% (ended at 84*)
              > Does this sound right??

              trying to make (whisky, rum, vodka etc). Some 'general' cuts I have
              seen and/or used are...
              30 : 40 : 30 for sugar vodka @ 96% purity
              15 : 65 : 20 for LME whisky @ 83% purity
              20 : 60 : 20 for molasses rum @ 78% purity

              These are GUIDELINES ONLY, not chiseled in stone, and everyone has
              their own tastes to consider. If you want more of the florals in
              your end product, cut the heads early. If more body and heavy
              flavour (like navy rum) take the tails late, but be aware it will
              require TIME! on oak and oxygenation to smooth it out.

              'Making the cut' is an art, not a science. Even 'experts' get it
              wrong on occasions. That's where blending comes in. It hides a
              multitude of sins. :-)

              HTH
            • Levi Langershank
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004
                ....for starters...re-examine your question..."(does the methonal have to be
                dumped or
                >can it get re-used in another wash?) ...ask yourself...'why would I want to
                >add an UNWANTED substance back to another 'run'...ANSWER....'I
                >wouldnt'....use it to kill ants etc..
                " I guess it will take experience to figure out the cuts."...right on
                target!....good luck...:>)
                ..."

                >From: "Neil" <britishbartender@...>

                >Subject: [Distillers] 1st Distill
                I guess it will take experience to figure out the cuts.get up to temp.
                >That's it for now guys, will look forward to feedback!!
                >Cheers,
                >Neil

              • Lukas Paige
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004
                  Harry,

                  I hope you don't mind me contacting you out of the blue like this. If
                  so, please disregard this email.

                  I've been lurking about on the distillers groups for a while now and
                  understand that you're quite active on the scene. I have even
                  received an answer to a question from you that pointed me to your
                  alcohol library (great stuff!). I am also a fellow Aussie, located in
                  Melbourne.

                  As a local with a good depth of knowledge on the subject of spirits
                  and distillation, would mind me asking you a few questions directly
                  in the hope that you may be able to help out with a business venture
                  of mine? I know I may sound paranoid, but they are things I'm not
                  that keen on broadcasting to the greater public via the Yahoo groups.

                  Let me know if this is OK with you, and if you would like something
                  in return for your advice.

                  I look forward to your reply.

                  Regards,

                  Lukas.
                  Quicksmartweb.com

                  PO Box 1090
                  Windsor VIC 3181

                  Phone 61 3 9525 9753
                  Fax 61 3 9527 8282

                  www.quicksmartweb.com
                • David W Lunsford
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 3, 2004
                    Damn, I have to go back to store between washes....Dave

                    At 01:35 AM 11/3/04 -0000, you wrote:

                    >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Neil" <britishbartender@h...>
                    >wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Almost finished my very first distill. Everything is going OK, I
                    >> think!! I guess it will take experience to figure out the
                    >cuts.<snip>
                    >.
                    >> That's it for now guys, will look forward to feedback!!
                    >> Cheers,
                    >> Neil
                    >

                    >Another Convert!!!! Heh, you'll never go back to 'store-bought'
                    >now, Neil. :-)
                    >

                    >Slainte!
                    >regards Harry

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Neil
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 3, 2004
                      Thanks for the input guys. Got the 2nd suger wash going, just dumped
                      it on what was left of the 1st washes yeast with some nutrient and
                      it started right back up, but not as vigoursly. Still have to
                      distill the 2nd half of the first wash. I am going to dilute and
                      carbon polish what I have and I guess the ants had better watch out!!
                      Cheers,
                      Neil