Re: [Distillers] Chinese Rice Wines

  • Maxime Belair
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 2, 2004
      Very interesting,

      As you can read there
      http://www.sytu.edu.cn/zhgjiu/u3-3.htm /point 3.3.2.1
      Polishing of rice, the rice used in brewing is
      polished. How can this be done at home?

      Maxime Belair
      ---------------------------------

      If you want to make JIU, you should use QU!

      For details of how the various Chinese grain wines
      are made see -
      http://www.sytu.edu.cn/zhgjiu/u3-3.htm
      http://www.sytu.edu.cn/zhgjiu/u3-4.htm
      http://www.sytu.edu.cn/zhgjiu/u3-5.htm
      http://www.sytu.edu.cn/zhgjiu/u3-6.htm

      wa-lee

      Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
      magasinage.yahoo.ca
    • BOKAKOB
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 2, 2004
        Polishing the rice is very easy if you have a cylinder of appropriate size. Just load rice in this cylinder and let it spin with its axis allighed horizontally for a while. If you through in a few small stones it will be much more rapid. Then you end up with rice four and polished grains.

        Whatever I wrote above is my subjective opinion
        There are no warranties of any kind
        Act on your own risk and finally...
        I can be wrong I must say
        Cheers, Alex...

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 2, 2004
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Maxime Belair
          <maxime_belair@y...> wrote:
          > Very interesting,
          >
          > As you can read there
          > http://www.sytu.edu.cn/zhgjiu/u3-3.htm /point 3.3.2.1
          > Polishing of rice, the rice used in brewing is
          > polished. How can this be done at home?
          >
          > Maxime Belair

          Just buy white rice. It's already "polished". :-)

          In the milling process, the rough rice passes through "sheller"
          machines that remove the hull. What remains is brown rice, with the
          bran layers still surrounding the kernel. The grains of brown rice
          are milled by machines that rub the grains together under pressure.
          This abrasion removes the bran layer, revealing white or "polished"
          rice.
          http://business.vsnl.com/premier/milling.html

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 3, 2004
            For premium sake, the Japanese polish to obrain 80% starch level at
            the core of the grain - considerably more than grain for consumption.
            For distillers this level of polishing is not necessary. Glutinous
            rice with its high starch content would be useful.
            wal
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:

            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Maxime Belair
            > <maxime_belair@y...> wrote:
            > > Very interesting,
            > >
            > > As you can read there
            > > http://www.sytu.edu.cn/zhgjiu/u3-3.htm /point 3.3.2.1
            > > Polishing of rice, the rice used in brewing is
            > > polished. How can this be done at home?
            > >
            > > Maxime Belair
            >

            > Just buy white rice. It's already "polished". :-)
            >
            > In the milling process, the rough rice passes through "sheller"
            > machines that remove the hull. What remains is brown rice, with the
            > bran layers still surrounding the kernel. The grains of brown rice
            > are milled by machines that rub the grains together under pressure.
            > This abrasion removes the bran layer, revealing white or "polished"
            > rice.
            > http://business.vsnl.com/premier/milling.html
            >

            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry
          • Brendan Keith
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 22, 2004
              Working in a very large "Chinatown" (Markham, Ontario) I thought it would be
              a simple matter to find koji or jiu qu, but of the several Asian
              supermarkets that I've visited, I have come out stumped.

              The closest I've found is various flavours of miso (Ingredients: soy beans,
              rice, salt), the most promising of which also included "sake lees".

              Another possible contender is "Fermented Bean Sauce" which is a thin sauce,
              quite cloudy with solids, so I suspect might have something viable.

              Does it sound like either of these may harbour some of the appropriate
              yeast? Or has anyone found the right stuff in the Toronto/Markham area?

              Thanks.
              --
              Brendan Keith
              bkeith@...

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 22, 2004
                Hi Brendan

                Try looking for small packets that look like this:

                http://distillers.uber.net.nz/gallery2/main.php/view/wheat/jiuqu_1s.jpg

                You should be able to buy them in packets of two for a few cents, or in
                bags of 600gms for the Canadian equivalent of $12 (NZD) or so. In the
                background of this photo is one of those big bags.

                Most likely place to find them will be around Chinese baking goods like
                gelatine, baking soda, rice flour, gypsum.

                Cheers
                Andrew

                Brendan Keith wrote:

                >Working in a very large "Chinatown" (Markham, Ontario) I thought it would be
                >a simple matter to find koji or jiu qu, but of the several Asian
                >supermarkets that I've visited, I have come out stumped.
                >
                >The closest I've found is various flavours of miso (Ingredients: soy beans,
                >rice, salt), the most promising of which also included "sake lees".
                >
                >Another possible contender is "Fermented Bean Sauce" which is a thin sauce,
                >quite cloudy with solids, so I suspect might have something viable.
                >
                >Does it sound like either of these may harbour some of the appropriate
                >yeast? Or has anyone found the right stuff in the Toronto/Markham area?
                >
                >Thanks.
                >--
                >Brendan Keith
                >bkeith@...

              • Brendan Keith
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 22, 2004
                  This is in the dried goods section? I was looking in the refrigerator case,
                  with the fresh miso and noodles.

                  Thanks, I'll look again.

                  P.S. You don't happen to have a closeup photo that I can print and show to
                  the stock clerks? The language barrier is rather imposing.
                  --
                  Brendan Keith
                  bkeith@...

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 23, 2004
                    Brendan,

                    Print this out and show it to the worker in the market. This is the chinese name for Jiu and I explain what's that for.

                    �W���s���Y--���s�C����

                    Good Luck

                    Julia

                    Brendan Keith <bkeith@...> wrote:
[...]

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    Julia in PA

                  • Brendan Keith
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 23, 2004
                      Does this require a particular character set? I have SimSun installed.

                      Once I get it printed, does it really say, "Gather your coworkers and laugh
                      at this gwai-lo." ?

                      Thanks.

                      --
                      Brendan Keith
                      bkeith@...

                    • Julia
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 23, 2004
                        You need to set it at " chinese traditional " "Big5" to see the correct words.

                        Julia

                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 23, 2004
                          Yea, that threw me to start with as well! I only found it by accident
                          when looking for something completely different, and on the way to the
                          butchery counter for some dog bones... :S

                          If you're lucky the shelves will have prices and short English
                          descriptions of the products on offer. In this case I think it said
                          'Wine cake', possibly 'Rice wine cake' or 'Chinese wine cake'..

                          I'm uploading two pics here:
                          http://distillers.uber.net.nz/gallery2/main.php/view/winecake/
                          Click the thumbnails to enlarge.

                          Unfortunately my cruddy digital camera can't really take decent pics of
                          type. If these aren't any good let me know and I'll open a pack up and
                          scan it for you instead.

                          Cheers
                          Andrew

                          Brendan Keith wrote:

                          >This is in the dried goods section? I was looking in the refrigerator case,
                          >with the fresh miso and noodles.
                          >
                          >Thanks, I'll look again.
                          >
                          >P.S. You don't happen to have a closeup photo that I can print and show to
                          >the stock clerks? The language barrier is rather imposing.
                          >--
                          >Brendan Keith
                          >bkeith@...

                        • Brendan Keith
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 23, 2004
                            That's great, I'm printing out those pictures, plus your picture from your
                            Wheat Mash folder, plus Julia's text from earlier today.

                            They are out of focus, but there doesn't seem to be any English text on the
                            package, is there?
                            --
                            Brendan Keith
                            bkeith@...

                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 23, 2004
                              The only English on there is 'TEL:' and a phone number for the offices
                              in Shanghai... :-)

                              I'm scanning one of the large empty bags, which has exactly the same
                              info on it as the little bags. Will upload it within the next 10 mins or so.

                              Cheers
                              Andrew

                              Brendan Keith wrote:

                              >That's great, I'm printing out those pictures, plus your picture from your
                              >Wheat Mash folder, plus Julia's text from earlier today.
                              >
                              >They are out of focus, but there doesn't seem to be any English text on the
                              >package, is there?
                              >--
                              >Brendan Keith
                              >bkeith@...

                            • Andrew Forsberg
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 23, 2004
                                Righto, give this a go:
                                http://distillers.uber.net.nz/gallery2/main.php/view/winecake/winecakepacket.jpg

                                Choose 1142x1630 from the select box above the pic for a larger image.
                                Should be plenty big enough to go waving around the grocery store... :-)

                                Cheers
                                Andrew

                                Brendan Keith wrote:

                                >That's great, I'm printing out those pictures, plus your picture from your
                                >Wheat Mash folder, plus Julia's text from earlier today.
                                >
                                >They are out of focus, but there doesn't seem to be any English text on the
                                >package, is there?
                                >--
                                >Brendan Keith
                                >bkeith@...

                              • Brendan Keith
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 23, 2004
                                  That is awesome. I could make a sandwich board out of that one.

                                  Thanks. I'll relate how it goes.

                                  --
                                  Brendan Keith
                                  bkeith@...

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 26, 2004
                                    OK, it wasn't for lack of interest, I was away for a couple of days.

                                    First day back, I went to the closest of 5 supermarkets, browsed a bit and
                                    grabbed a few items and checked the big bags of rice available. I found 2
                                    clerks talking to each other, walked up, flashed the big picture and asked
                                    "Do you have this?" They stared for about 5 seconds, one said a word to
                                    another and we three walked down a nearby aisle, right to the spot. The
                                    rack's English label says "Dried Yeast". It was with the dried beans, dried
                                    vegetable, nuts, etc. The 7oz. bag has 8 small packets of pairs of balls.
                                    Cost: $3.99 CDN.

                                    I don't know which to tackle first, now, as during my days away, I came upon
                                    a brewer's supply warehouse discarding some skids of bags of malt. I now
                                    have 500lbs of various flavours of Breiss malt. Other people picking it up
                                    were farmers (using it as animal feed) and who knows what else.

                                    --
                                    Brendan Keith
                                    bkeith@...

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 26, 2004