Re: coupling

  • Kim
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004
      Lindsay,

      please give the exact information on the solder and the flux.... I am
      sure I am not the only one that would like this information...
      (manufacturer, part #, name, etc)

      thanks

      Kim

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x> wrote:

      > I certainly soldered a 2" SS column into a belled 2" copper pipe
      using
      > a regular propane torch. (See Photos/Lindsay. Photo 3 shows the
      copper
      > stub into which the SS was soldered). Went like a dream. The flux
      > (Duzall) was the magic answer for me.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Lindsay.
      >
      > > so for the non-plumbers among us (ahem) you can't solder copper to
      > stainless
      > > with propane, but you can with mapp, oxygen, or acetyline? yeah, i
      > really
      > > have no clue, i haven't built anything like this yet...
      > >

      > > Saul

      > > http://mail.yahoo.com
    • ALABREW Homebrewing Supplies
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004
        I didn't want to weld anything to the keg. I wanted it to just slip in.
        I am now considering cutting a few slots in the 2" column to reduce
        its diameter, pressing it in and then welding the slots closed - anyone
        do this with success?

        Kim

      • Lindsay Williams
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004
          The flux info is in the link below:-

          http://www.weldwell.co.nz/msds/sdduzall.htm

          Not sure of availability in USA but a google search indicates that it
          is known in USA as well. But any flux with zinc chloride etc in it
          would be similarly effective. It's a pretty old recipe.

          Any lead-free solder should be OK as well. Mine is resin cored 99% tin
          1% copper used in electronics. I had trouble finding it here but USA
          has heaps of great solder products, incl lead-free paste (flux and
          solder in one) which is said to work great.

          The other biggie for me was to finally realise that lack of heat was
          not my problem. Indeed, too much heat will oxidise the metal and
          prevent the solder from running. So, a flux that works, clean
          surfaces, close fittings and moderate/gentle heat worked for me.

          Good luck,

          Lindsay

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Kim" <kiss_my_ass@c...> wrote:

          > Lindsay,
          >
          > please give the exact information on the solder and the flux.... I am
          > sure I am not the only one that would like this information...
          > (manufacturer, part #, name, etc)
          >
          > thanks
          >
          > Kim
          >
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x> wrote:
          > >
          > > I certainly soldered a 2" SS column into a belled 2" copper pipe
          > using
          > > a regular propane torch. (See Photos/Lindsay. Photo 3 shows the
          > copper
          > > stub into which the SS was soldered). Went like a dream. The flux
          > > (Duzall) was the magic answer for me.
          > >
          > > Cheers,
          > > Lindsay.
          > >
          > > > so for the non-plumbers among us (ahem) you can't solder copper to
          > > stainless
          > > > with propane, but you can with mapp, oxygen, or acetyline? yeah, i
          > > really
          > > > have no clue, i haven't built anything like this yet...
          > > >

          > > > Saul

          > > > http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Bennett, Mark E
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004
            I silver soldered the coupling that was removed from the keg to the
            column. I did machine up a short piece of tube between the joint to make
            it stronger but I now consider this a waist of time. It could be worth
            it if you were using soft solder (lead/tin) and only solder on the
            outside so that you keep the led away from the internals. This
            configuration works well as it allows you to screw the column on and
            off.