Re: coupling

  • Lindsay Williams
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004
      I certainly soldered a 2" SS column into a belled 2" copper pipe using
      a regular propane torch. (See Photos/Lindsay. Photo 3 shows the copper
      stub into which the SS was soldered). Went like a dream. The flux
      (Duzall) was the magic answer for me.

      Cheers,
      Lindsay.

      > so for the non-plumbers among us (ahem) you can't solder copper to
      stainless
      > with propane, but you can with mapp, oxygen, or acetyline? yeah, i
      really
      > have no clue, i haven't built anything like this yet...
      >

      > Saul

      > http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Kim
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004
        Lindsay,

        please give the exact information on the solder and the flux.... I am
        sure I am not the only one that would like this information...
        (manufacturer, part #, name, etc)

        thanks

        Kim

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x> wrote:

        > I certainly soldered a 2" SS column into a belled 2" copper pipe
        using
        > a regular propane torch. (See Photos/Lindsay. Photo 3 shows the
        copper
        > stub into which the SS was soldered). Went like a dream. The flux
        > (Duzall) was the magic answer for me.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Lindsay.
        >
        > > so for the non-plumbers among us (ahem) you can't solder copper to
        > stainless
        > > with propane, but you can with mapp, oxygen, or acetyline? yeah, i
        > really
        > > have no clue, i haven't built anything like this yet...
        > >

        > > Saul

        > > http://mail.yahoo.com
      • ALABREW Homebrewing Supplies
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004
          I didn't want to weld anything to the keg. I wanted it to just slip in.
          I am now considering cutting a few slots in the 2" column to reduce
          its diameter, pressing it in and then welding the slots closed - anyone
          do this with success?

          Kim

        • Lindsay Williams
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004
            The flux info is in the link below:-

            http://www.weldwell.co.nz/msds/sdduzall.htm

            Not sure of availability in USA but a google search indicates that it
            is known in USA as well. But any flux with zinc chloride etc in it
            would be similarly effective. It's a pretty old recipe.

            Any lead-free solder should be OK as well. Mine is resin cored 99% tin
            1% copper used in electronics. I had trouble finding it here but USA
            has heaps of great solder products, incl lead-free paste (flux and
            solder in one) which is said to work great.

            The other biggie for me was to finally realise that lack of heat was
            not my problem. Indeed, too much heat will oxidise the metal and
            prevent the solder from running. So, a flux that works, clean
            surfaces, close fittings and moderate/gentle heat worked for me.

            Good luck,

            Lindsay

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Kim" <kiss_my_ass@c...> wrote:

            > Lindsay,
            >
            > please give the exact information on the solder and the flux.... I am
            > sure I am not the only one that would like this information...
            > (manufacturer, part #, name, etc)
            >
            > thanks
            >
            > Kim
            >
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x> wrote:
            > >
            > > I certainly soldered a 2" SS column into a belled 2" copper pipe
            > using
            > > a regular propane torch. (See Photos/Lindsay. Photo 3 shows the
            > copper
            > > stub into which the SS was soldered). Went like a dream. The flux
            > > (Duzall) was the magic answer for me.
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > > Lindsay.
            > >
            > > > so for the non-plumbers among us (ahem) you can't solder copper to
            > > stainless
            > > > with propane, but you can with mapp, oxygen, or acetyline? yeah, i
            > > really
            > > > have no clue, i haven't built anything like this yet...
            > > >

            > > > Saul

            > > > http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Bennett, Mark E
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004
              I silver soldered the coupling that was removed from the keg to the
              column. I did machine up a short piece of tube between the joint to make
              it stronger but I now consider this a waist of time. It could be worth
              it if you were using soft solder (lead/tin) and only solder on the
              outside so that you keep the led away from the internals. This
              configuration works well as it allows you to screw the column on and
              off.