Re: [Distillers] Re: Is it possible to recover a culture from a sample of chinese...

  • ambrew@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2004
      Rice makes starches that make surges that make beer.

      Bud is 50% rice.

      Bill Owens
      Box 577
      Hayward, CA 94541

      510-886-7418

    • Levi Langershank
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2004
        ....not meant as a flame...but....if you are really Bill Owens,including
        your address and phone number ,or even your real name for that matter,dosnt
        exactly qualify you for 'The Sharpest Knife in the Drawer' award...if you
        get my 'drift'......:>)

        >From: ambrew@...
        >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Is it possible to recover a culture from a
        >sample of chinese...
        >Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 21:48:38 EST
        >
        >Rice makes starches that make surges that make beer.
        >
        >Bud is 50% rice.
        >

        >Bill Owens
        >Box 577
        >Hayward, CA 94541
        >
        >510-886-7418

      • Andrew Forsberg
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2004
          Putting aside the fact that you wouldn't keep your good sharp knives in
          drawers... Bill Owens runs American Distiller:
          http://www.distilling.com/
          He has been very generous with sharing information with the group, so
          let's keep it nice and civil, mm'kay? :)

          Levi Langershank wrote:

          >....not meant as a flame...but....if you are really Bill Owens,including
          >your address and phone number ,or even your real name for that matter,dosnt
          >exactly qualify you for 'The Sharpest Knife in the Drawer' award...if you
          >get my 'drift'......:>)
          >

          >>From: ambrew@...
          >>Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Is it possible to recover a culture from a
          >>sample of chinese...
          >>Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 21:48:38 EST
          >>
          >>Rice makes starches that make surges that make beer.
          >>
          >>Bud is 50% rice.

        • Sven Pfitt
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
            Where did you get the 50% number from?

            The "Standard American Lager" runs up to 40% adjuncts acording to
            BJCP Guidlines. The Premium American Lager" is listed as up to 25%
            adjuncts. The adjuncts are normally rice or corn.

            I don't know of anyone making a beer with 50% adjuncts, and most
            recipies I've seen stay near 20% rice, corn or a combination of the
            two.

            Unfortunatly, I've seen no specific information from Bud other than
            that they use both 2-row and 6-row in addition to rice.

            Sven

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, ambrew@a... wrote:
            > Rice makes starches that make surges that make beer.
            >
            > Bud is 50% rice.
            >

            > Bill Owens
            > Box 577
            > Hayward, CA 94541
            >
            > 510-886-7418

          • Levi Langershank
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
              ...and you were appointed 'The Bill Owens Official
              Spokes-person'...when?...:>)
              ..also,is "American Distiller" supposed to carry some
              'weight'?..I,personally,have never heard of it.....but then,I further my
              knowledge via experimentation/trial and error......my reading is limited to
              Westerns and History...:>)

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
                Levi Langershank wrote:

                >...and you were appointed 'The Bill Owens Official
                >Spokes-person'...when?...:>)

                Never. I have absolutely no relationship with him, or his organization,
                professional or otherwise. However I have learnt a lot from the
                newsletters and publications that have been made available to this group
                via Bill. The pre-release of Kris Berglund's 'Artisan Distilling' in
                particular should be an extremely interesting read for small-scale
                distillers of fruit and grain. Others on the list have certainly
                referred to details within it enough times... I won't tire you with the
                details because:

                >..also,is "American Distiller" supposed to carry some
                >'weight'?..I,personally,have never heard of it.....but then,I further my
                >knowledge via experimentation/trial and error......my reading is limited to
                >Westerns and History...:>)

                Hmmm. So, non-fiction reading and research bores you? Let me guess --
                that's how you became such a 'sharp knife'... :-) Fancy "trial and
                error" testing cyanide levels in your stone fruit schnapps? I hope not.

                Best of luck!

                Cheers
                Andrew
              • Mike Nixon
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
                  Levi Langershank wrote:
                  Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Is it possible to recover a culture from a
                  sample of chinese...

                  ...and you were appointed 'The Bill Owens Official
                  Spokes-person'...when?...:>)
                  ..also,is "American Distiller" supposed to carry some
                  'weight'?..I,personally,have never heard of it.....but then,I further my
                  knowledge via experimentation/trial and error......my reading is limited to
                  Westerns and History...:>)
                  =================================
                  Levi, me old Mate, please lighten up. The tone is getting distinctly
                  unpleasant and seems quite unlike you.
                  Bill Owens is one of the respected leading lights in commercial distilling,
                  and the "American Distiller", which I receive, is a thoughtful and
                  interesting publication. That you may not have heard of him or the
                  publication is neither here nor there. As Bill and Ted said with triumphant
                  wisdom, "Be excellent to each other ... And party on dudes!"

                  All the best,
                  Mike N
                • Levi Langershank
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
                    My message was to Bill Owens.....so you chose to represent Bill Owens
                    because...?

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
                      ...point well recived Mike...personally,I have never heard of Bill Owens
                      (other than a fellow I used to know back in the '70s'..)....or the
                      'American Distiller'...all I was attempting to acheive was to advise a
                      'nubie' that he didnt need to ID himself to the world......its that
                      simple...if I had known 'he' was a celibrity,I wouldnt have
                      bothered...SORRY!!!!.......:>)

                      >From: "Mike Nixon" <mike@...>

                      >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Is it possible to recover a culture from a
                      >sample of chinese...
                      >Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 18:13:47 +1300
                      >

                      >Levi, me old Mate, please lighten up. ... And party on dudes!"
                      >
                      >All the best,
                      >Mike N

                    • Andrew Forsberg
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
                        Levi Langershank wrote:

                        >My message was to Bill Owens.....so you chose to represent Bill Owens
                        >because...?

                        You were rude and ill informed.
                      • Levi Langershank
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
                          Thanks Andy...thats the nicest thing anyone has said to me all
                          day...:>)....actually,if I offended you,I,sincerely appologize...I had no
                          idea who Bill Owens was....your point has been well taken...I should have
                          'looked before I leaped'...:>)