Re: Is it possible to recover a culture from a sample of chinese...

  • Neil
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2004
      Good advise, I have been brewing for a few years now and thats how
      its done. You could also use a malt extract instead of suger.
      Just to throw gas on a fire, isn't it technically a rice beer??
      Cheers,
      Neil

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, axis714sixa@a... wrote:
      > Hi Alex although Im not much of a distiller quite yet...I have
      cultured yeast
      > from beers, wines champagnes meads etc for years...Heres the
      thing...
      > after 5 years bottle ageing as you say your rice wine is..I have a
      hard time
      > being an optimist about harvesting a culture...
      > However, Im not saying its impossible at all...If youre up to it
      steralize
      > the hell out of a bottle or flask..anything you can fit a sanitary
      airlock
      > onto...boil about a cup of cornsugar in a cup of water for at
      least 10 mins to
      > sanitize completely ...
      > even put a flame to the lip if the bottle to make absolute sure
      there is no
      > chance of infection....and transfer the sugar solution under the
      airlock until
      > its temp stabalizes at room temp.
      > then add the dregs from the bottom of your bottle(some use yeast
      nutrient)
      > Ive never seen a difference myself .
      > If it happens to fire up in 24-48 hrs. youre in business...Wow if
      the yeast
      > youre after actually remained dormant for 5 yrs and remains viable
      Id continue

    • ambrew@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2004
        Rice makes starches that make surges that make beer.

        Bud is 50% rice.

        Bill Owens
        Box 577
        Hayward, CA 94541

        510-886-7418

      • Levi Langershank
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2004
          ....not meant as a flame...but....if you are really Bill Owens,including
          your address and phone number ,or even your real name for that matter,dosnt
          exactly qualify you for 'The Sharpest Knife in the Drawer' award...if you
          get my 'drift'......:>)

          >From: ambrew@...
          >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Is it possible to recover a culture from a
          >sample of chinese...
          >Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 21:48:38 EST
          >
          >Rice makes starches that make surges that make beer.
          >
          >Bud is 50% rice.
          >

          >Bill Owens
          >Box 577
          >Hayward, CA 94541
          >
          >510-886-7418

        • Andrew Forsberg
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2004
            Putting aside the fact that you wouldn't keep your good sharp knives in
            drawers... Bill Owens runs American Distiller:
            http://www.distilling.com/
            He has been very generous with sharing information with the group, so
            let's keep it nice and civil, mm'kay? :)

            Levi Langershank wrote:

            >....not meant as a flame...but....if you are really Bill Owens,including
            >your address and phone number ,or even your real name for that matter,dosnt
            >exactly qualify you for 'The Sharpest Knife in the Drawer' award...if you
            >get my 'drift'......:>)
            >

            >>From: ambrew@...
            >>Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Is it possible to recover a culture from a
            >>sample of chinese...
            >>Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 21:48:38 EST
            >>
            >>Rice makes starches that make surges that make beer.
            >>
            >>Bud is 50% rice.

          • Sven Pfitt
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
              Where did you get the 50% number from?

              The "Standard American Lager" runs up to 40% adjuncts acording to
              BJCP Guidlines. The Premium American Lager" is listed as up to 25%
              adjuncts. The adjuncts are normally rice or corn.

              I don't know of anyone making a beer with 50% adjuncts, and most
              recipies I've seen stay near 20% rice, corn or a combination of the
              two.

              Unfortunatly, I've seen no specific information from Bud other than
              that they use both 2-row and 6-row in addition to rice.

              Sven

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, ambrew@a... wrote:
              > Rice makes starches that make surges that make beer.
              >
              > Bud is 50% rice.
              >

              > Bill Owens
              > Box 577
              > Hayward, CA 94541
              >
              > 510-886-7418

            • Levi Langershank
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
                ...and you were appointed 'The Bill Owens Official
                Spokes-person'...when?...:>)
                ..also,is "American Distiller" supposed to carry some
                'weight'?..I,personally,have never heard of it.....but then,I further my
                knowledge via experimentation/trial and error......my reading is limited to
                Westerns and History...:>)

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
                  Levi Langershank wrote:

                  >...and you were appointed 'The Bill Owens Official
                  >Spokes-person'...when?...:>)

                  Never. I have absolutely no relationship with him, or his organization,
                  professional or otherwise. However I have learnt a lot from the
                  newsletters and publications that have been made available to this group
                  via Bill. The pre-release of Kris Berglund's 'Artisan Distilling' in
                  particular should be an extremely interesting read for small-scale
                  distillers of fruit and grain. Others on the list have certainly
                  referred to details within it enough times... I won't tire you with the
                  details because:

                  >..also,is "American Distiller" supposed to carry some
                  >'weight'?..I,personally,have never heard of it.....but then,I further my
                  >knowledge via experimentation/trial and error......my reading is limited to
                  >Westerns and History...:>)

                  Hmmm. So, non-fiction reading and research bores you? Let me guess --
                  that's how you became such a 'sharp knife'... :-) Fancy "trial and
                  error" testing cyanide levels in your stone fruit schnapps? I hope not.

                  Best of luck!

                  Cheers
                  Andrew
                • Mike Nixon
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
                    Levi Langershank wrote:
                    Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Is it possible to recover a culture from a
                    sample of chinese...

                    ...and you were appointed 'The Bill Owens Official
                    Spokes-person'...when?...:>)
                    ..also,is "American Distiller" supposed to carry some
                    'weight'?..I,personally,have never heard of it.....but then,I further my
                    knowledge via experimentation/trial and error......my reading is limited to
                    Westerns and History...:>)
                    =================================
                    Levi, me old Mate, please lighten up. The tone is getting distinctly
                    unpleasant and seems quite unlike you.
                    Bill Owens is one of the respected leading lights in commercial distilling,
                    and the "American Distiller", which I receive, is a thoughtful and
                    interesting publication. That you may not have heard of him or the
                    publication is neither here nor there. As Bill and Ted said with triumphant
                    wisdom, "Be excellent to each other ... And party on dudes!"

                    All the best,
                    Mike N
                  • Levi Langershank
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
                      My message was to Bill Owens.....so you chose to represent Bill Owens
                      because...?

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
                        ...point well recived Mike...personally,I have never heard of Bill Owens
                        (other than a fellow I used to know back in the '70s'..)....or the
                        'American Distiller'...all I was attempting to acheive was to advise a
                        'nubie' that he didnt need to ID himself to the world......its that
                        simple...if I had known 'he' was a celibrity,I wouldnt have
                        bothered...SORRY!!!!.......:>)

                        >From: "Mike Nixon" <mike@...>

                        >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Is it possible to recover a culture from a
                        >sample of chinese...
                        >Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 18:13:47 +1300
                        >

                        >Levi, me old Mate, please lighten up. ... And party on dudes!"
                        >
                        >All the best,
                        >Mike N

                      • Andrew Forsberg
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
                          Levi Langershank wrote:

                          >My message was to Bill Owens.....so you chose to represent Bill Owens
                          >because...?

                          You were rude and ill informed.
                        • Levi Langershank
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
                            Thanks Andy...thats the nicest thing anyone has said to me all
                            day...:>)....actually,if I offended you,I,sincerely appologize...I had no
                            idea who Bill Owens was....your point has been well taken...I should have
                            'looked before I leaped'...:>)