Re: [Distillers] Is it possible to recover a culture from a sample of chinese...

  • Andrew Forsberg
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1 11:12 AM
      axis714sixa@... wrote:

      >and transfer the sugar solution under the airlock until
      >its temp stabalizes at room temp.
      > then add the dregs from the bottom of your bottle(some use yeast nutrient)
      >Ive never seen a difference myself .
      > If it happens to fire up in 24-48 hrs. youre in business...Wow if the yeast
      >youre after actually remained dormant for 5 yrs and remains viable Id continue
      >to cultivate it on a slant system for ever.
      >Hope maybe this helps.

      Hi Axis,

      That's great advice for retrieving yeast. Thanks.

      However the rice wine 'yeast' Alex is wanting to retrieve also includes
      grain liquefying and saccharifying cultures, and by the sound of it
      lactic acid bacteria. Perhaps adding boiled corn starch to your bottle
      as well? I'm afraid I don't like his chances though...

      Cheers
      Andrew
    • Neil
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1 6:17 PM
        Good advise, I have been brewing for a few years now and thats how
        its done. You could also use a malt extract instead of suger.
        Just to throw gas on a fire, isn't it technically a rice beer??
        Cheers,
        Neil

      • ambrew@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1 6:48 PM
          Rice makes starches that make surges that make beer.

          Bud is 50% rice.

          Bill Owens
          Box 577
          Hayward, CA 94541

          510-886-7418

        • Levi Langershank
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1 7:21 PM
            ....not meant as a flame...but....if you are really Bill Owens,including
            your address and phone number ,or even your real name for that matter,dosnt
            exactly qualify you for 'The Sharpest Knife in the Drawer' award...if you
            get my 'drift'......:>)

            >From: ambrew@...
            >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Is it possible to recover a culture from a
            >sample of chinese...
            >Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 21:48:38 EST
            >
            >Rice makes starches that make surges that make beer.
            >
            >Bud is 50% rice.
            >

            >Bill Owens
            >Box 577
            >Hayward, CA 94541
            >
            >510-886-7418

          • Andrew Forsberg
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 1 7:28 PM
              Putting aside the fact that you wouldn't keep your good sharp knives in
              drawers... Bill Owens runs American Distiller:
              http://www.distilling.com/
              He has been very generous with sharing information with the group, so
              let's keep it nice and civil, mm'kay? :)

              Levi Langershank wrote:

              >....not meant as a flame...but....if you are really Bill Owens,including
              >your address and phone number ,or even your real name for that matter,dosnt
              >exactly qualify you for 'The Sharpest Knife in the Drawer' award...if you
              >get my 'drift'......:>)
              >

              >>From: ambrew@...
              >>Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Is it possible to recover a culture from a
              >>sample of chinese...
              >>Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 21:48:38 EST
              >>
              >>Rice makes starches that make surges that make beer.
              >>
              >>Bud is 50% rice.

            • Sven Pfitt
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 2 9:39 AM
                Where did you get the 50% number from?

                The "Standard American Lager" runs up to 40% adjuncts acording to
                BJCP Guidlines. The Premium American Lager" is listed as up to 25%
                adjuncts. The adjuncts are normally rice or corn.

                I don't know of anyone making a beer with 50% adjuncts, and most
                recipies I've seen stay near 20% rice, corn or a combination of the
                two.

                Unfortunatly, I've seen no specific information from Bud other than
                that they use both 2-row and 6-row in addition to rice.

                Sven

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, ambrew@a... wrote:
                > Rice makes starches that make surges that make beer.
                >
                > Bud is 50% rice.
                >

                > Bill Owens
                > Box 577
                > Hayward, CA 94541
                >
                > 510-886-7418

              • Levi Langershank
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 2 7:59 PM
                  ...and you were appointed 'The Bill Owens Official
                  Spokes-person'...when?...:>)
                  ..also,is "American Distiller" supposed to carry some
                  'weight'?..I,personally,have never heard of it.....but then,I further my
                  knowledge via experimentation/trial and error......my reading is limited to
                  Westerns and History...:>)

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 2 8:43 PM
                    Levi Langershank wrote:

                    >...and you were appointed 'The Bill Owens Official
                    >Spokes-person'...when?...:>)

                    Never. I have absolutely no relationship with him, or his organization,
                    professional or otherwise. However I have learnt a lot from the
                    newsletters and publications that have been made available to this group
                    via Bill. The pre-release of Kris Berglund's 'Artisan Distilling' in
                    particular should be an extremely interesting read for small-scale
                    distillers of fruit and grain. Others on the list have certainly
                    referred to details within it enough times... I won't tire you with the
                    details because:

                    >..also,is "American Distiller" supposed to carry some
                    >'weight'?..I,personally,have never heard of it.....but then,I further my
                    >knowledge via experimentation/trial and error......my reading is limited to
                    >Westerns and History...:>)

                    Hmmm. So, non-fiction reading and research bores you? Let me guess --
                    that's how you became such a 'sharp knife'... :-) Fancy "trial and
                    error" testing cyanide levels in your stone fruit schnapps? I hope not.

                    Best of luck!

                    Cheers
                    Andrew
                  • Mike Nixon
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 2 9:13 PM
                      Levi Langershank wrote:
                      Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Is it possible to recover a culture from a
                      sample of chinese...

                      ...and you were appointed 'The Bill Owens Official
                      Spokes-person'...when?...:>)
                      ..also,is "American Distiller" supposed to carry some
                      'weight'?..I,personally,have never heard of it.....but then,I further my
                      knowledge via experimentation/trial and error......my reading is limited to
                      Westerns and History...:>)
                      =================================
                      Levi, me old Mate, please lighten up. The tone is getting distinctly
                      unpleasant and seems quite unlike you.
                      Bill Owens is one of the respected leading lights in commercial distilling,
                      and the "American Distiller", which I receive, is a thoughtful and
                      interesting publication. That you may not have heard of him or the
                      publication is neither here nor there. As Bill and Ted said with triumphant
                      wisdom, "Be excellent to each other ... And party on dudes!"

                      All the best,
                      Mike N
                    • Levi Langershank
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 2 9:25 PM
                        My message was to Bill Owens.....so you chose to represent Bill Owens
                        because...?

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 2 9:33 PM
                          ...point well recived Mike...personally,I have never heard of Bill Owens
                          (other than a fellow I used to know back in the '70s'..)....or the
                          'American Distiller'...all I was attempting to acheive was to advise a
                          'nubie' that he didnt need to ID himself to the world......its that
                          simple...if I had known 'he' was a celibrity,I wouldnt have
                          bothered...SORRY!!!!.......:>)

                          >From: "Mike Nixon" <mike@...>

                          >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Is it possible to recover a culture from a
                          >sample of chinese...
                          >Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 18:13:47 +1300
                          >

                          >Levi, me old Mate, please lighten up. ... And party on dudes!"
                          >
                          >All the best,
                          >Mike N

                        • Andrew Forsberg
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 2 9:34 PM
                            Levi Langershank wrote:

                            >My message was to Bill Owens.....so you chose to represent Bill Owens
                            >because...?

                            You were rude and ill informed.
                          • Levi Langershank
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 2 9:46 PM
                              Thanks Andy...thats the nicest thing anyone has said to me all
                              day...:>)....actually,if I offended you,I,sincerely appologize...I had no
                              idea who Bill Owens was....your point has been well taken...I should have
                              'looked before I leaped'...:>)