Is it possible to recover a culture from a sample of chinese rice wine?

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
      I have a friend who brought me a small bottle, perhaps 50mL, of aged rice wine made with red rice culture. I was told it arrived from mainland China where this wine is brewed for centuries. I am not sure what culture and yeast were used but the taste is exquisite! It has color of regular black tea, rum or regular whiskey. The rice aroma is definitely there and there is a strong aftertaste of wine. It is pretty strong too. I was told it is aged at least five years in bottle without any light. I love it.

      Now, I want to find out if it is possible to somehow to propagate the culture which I suspect is still might be in the solution. The wine was made with old recipe and I am almost positive it was not pasteurized. So, is there any way to multiply whatever cultures are in this wine and continue brewing with this strain?

      Thank you for any leads because it is worth it! Alex (aka BOKAKOB)

    • Andrew Forsberg
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
        Hi Alex,

        The Chinese mastered a simple form of Pasteurization long before old
        Louis arrived on the scene. They'd heat the wine slowly until it was too
        hot to hold the pot with an open palm. I'd suspect that without some
        very high tech filtration to remove all the organics, or Pasteurizing,
        that the wine would smell and taste like rot long before five years were up.

        Of course the easy way to find out is to cook some rice and introduce a
        small sample of the wine. If you're in a hurry to prove a principle then
        keep them both in a warm, dark, moist area. Keep in mind that any
        activity you see may actually be the result of wild cultures rather than
        anything to do with the wine itself.

        Otherwise check out your wine under a microscope.

        Cheers
        Andrew

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
          Rice wines are normally pasteurized.
          wal

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2004
            If you add 8% angkak (red fermented rice) to your cooked glutinous
            rice and Chinese rice balls you should get a similar mash.
            Some rice wines are fortified in a similar way to port wine
            production to obtain sweetness.
            wal

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2004
              If you add 8% angkak (red fermented rice) to your cooked glutinous rice and Chinese rice balls you should get a similar mash. Some rice wines are fortified in a similar way to port wine production to obtain sweetness. wal
              Hi, Wal! after u mentioned word "fortified" I think I know that that particular sample was fortified. That is why it was pretty strong and had wine aftertaste. Thanks for very good links. Alex.

              Whatever I wrote above is my subjective opinion
              There are no warranties of any kind
              Act on your own risk and finally...
              I can be wrong I must say
              Cheers, Alex...